MSE News: EU ruling could throw insurance pricing into chaos

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They could put high premiums on "boy racer" cars.
    At the moment if they don't want certain business then they just put a very high premium on it rather than refuse.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    They could put high premiums on "boy racer" cars.
    At the moment if they don't want certain business then they just put a very high premium on it rather than refuse.

They'll just have to do the same for girl racers with the same car in the future.
  • RichBen
    RichBen Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    My understanding is that this will not happen. Insurers already have an exepmtion that they can discriminate on sex grounds as long as they have the actuarial evidence to support this. I expect this situation to continue or it is open season on all insurance fundamentals. "Why should I pay a higher flood premium just because I live in a flood zone?" - "Because you are statistically a worse wisk to the insurers". Same for men drivers. The statistics back it up.
    I am a professional insurance adviser. My opinions are based on my knowledge and experience. Many of the opinions expressed here will be based on limited information and may not be suitable solutions for all. My strong advice will usually be to seek a professional opinion from a quality insurance broker. See BIBA for a local professional member.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not against pricing out the young for powerful cars, if anything I think it should be illegal to drive anything about a 1.2 N/A engine for the first 2 years of driving as that would solve a lot of problems.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    My point is the older you get the closer to death you get... FACT.

Where as the younger you are the worse driver you are, yes there is a pattern that some young drivers are hazard but I wouldn't class it a strictly a fact.
    Sorry, still does not compute - as far as insurance risk is concerned, one is no more a "fact" than the other. Age is a factor in how close to death you are likely to be (note: not how close you are) and arguably the most significant, but it's by no means the only one.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They'll just have to do the same for girl racers with the same car in the future.
    Oh exactly.
    That's exactly what I meant when I said
    "boy racer" cars

The loading is on the type of car e.g. Peugeot 106 or whatever, not the person.
    I believe this already happens, but they can (if they want to) price someone out of the market if they don't want their business and they already do that to a degree.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Oh exactly.
    That's exactly what I meant when I said

The loading is on the type of car e.g. Peugeot 106 or whatever, not the person.
    I believe this already happens, but they can (if they want to) price someone out of the market if they don't want their business and they already do that to a degree.

Any driver under 21 normally.
  • Arg
    Arg Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    If insurance companies want to be free to do what they want with regards to premiums then the british public should be free not to choose insurance in the first place.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Arg wrote: »
    If insurance companies want to be free to do what they want with regards to premiums then the british public should be free not to choose insurance in the first place.

Very true, the reason they can get away with it is the have a captive audience, I remember my first year paying £1400 to insure a car worth £900 (1.1 fiesta), if I could have just said no thanks I will just take the risk I would be £1400 + interest richer today.

Just drop the who is to blame and just insure it like any other item, if I don't have insurance and my car gets damaged its my problem.

It isn't like if I get burgled I have to go off the burglers home insure to replace my TV is it.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    Very true, the reason they can get away with it is the have a captive audience, I remember my first year paying £1400 to insure a car worth £900 (1.1 fiesta), if I could have just said no thanks I will just take the risk I would be £1400 + interest richer today.
    It's not the £900 for your car you're insuring against, it's the £2,000,000 damage you do when you you crash into a petrol tanker, or a bus queue.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family