We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

whaTS THE AVERAGE MONTHLY GAS BILL COSTING PEOPLE?

Options
sasha.p
sasha.p Posts: 23 Forumite
I am asking because i am trying to work out if the system of using gas bottle i am now on is actually cheaper or not?before me and my ex split his friend who is gas safe registered had our meter removed and installed propare bottles to work our hot water and cooker i use solid fule for the fire which heats the whole house and i spend an awful lot of time doing firewood which i enjoy but i really want to work out if it is cheaper with the gas the way it is .?

he had our meter removed would i have to pay to have it reinstalled? and to go back on mains or would a provider come and do that?i have no idea about stuff like this .my house is so un energy efficient my ex left me with diy disasters everywhere since he left and i dovorced him.i have had my loft insulated i have double glazing but i have draughts that come in full blown breezes under my bedroom skirting boards half my kitchen cieling can not be insulated because of the way the house has been built and all of it freezes pipes and everything when we have weather like we hasd before xmas and i think i lose a lot through the kicthen and its just so much in need of doing i applied to go on diy sos but never heard anything back its beyond my control and i wouldnt know where to begin with two young children this winter was very tough going i have been filling holes and even attempted plastering myself learnt to use a chainsaw but with money so tight cant possibley afford to pay for somebody to come and do the work needed god it makes me depressed :(

Comments

• grimsalve
    grimsalve Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2011 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Chin up. It's been a very cold winter and everyone will have really expensive gas bills so I don't think there's any point in getting reconnected, it probably won't save you any money (it might end up costing more). Just fix stuff one bit at a time and don't let it get you down.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whether he was gas safe registered or not, it was not your gas meter to remove, its the property of the national grid. So there may be some legal issues here.
    Its highly unlikely that using bottled gas is cheaper than mains gas.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its very expensive to move a meter over £500 probably a lot more now as that was around 8 years ago when I asked. Bottle gas will be more expensive normally

as for average that should be based on 12 months usage and theer are a lot of factors involved ie number of people, property
  • sasha.p
    sasha.p Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Oh no penrhyn the meter was removed according to brittish gas instructions everything was done correctly and brittish gas de energised us and collected their meter so the removal was all legal and above board.I know your right about a hard winter its been tough for everyone but i wondered what it would cost to have gas linked on so i could fall back on if neccasarry i worked out i am currently using about £20-£25 a month max on hot water and cooking but there is me and my two children ,but then if i done that i would get stuck with service charges again i guess so probabley would work out pretty expensive and im probabley better off just getting the work done to improve the house instead it just feels like such a struggle at times but thanks anyway everyone for your input
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport