Can you ride a bike whilst on DLA??

Options
After a bit of advice please :)

OH is in receipt of DLA - higher mobility - middle care. One of his main problems is that he cannot walk due to pain and physical incapacity. He spent many months in a rehab hospital where he used to use a motormed bike, (one that you sit in a wheelchair and its placed in front of you to pedal) to try and build up his muscles.

He is able now, (just about :() to ride a normal bike but he does need help getting on and off which I can do, I am also his carer. Does anyone think this will cause any problems with his DLA award?? He still has major problems walking at all buy cycling could really help with his recovery.

All advice/opinions apreciated.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    You need to make DLA aware of the improvement in his condition. They are the only people who can advise you if it will change your entitlement.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hoggle wrote: »
    After a bit of advice please :)

OH is in receipt of DLA - higher mobility - middle care. One of his main problems is that he cannot walk due to pain and physical incapacity. He spent many months in a rehab hospital where he used to use a motormed bike, (one that you sit in a wheelchair and its placed in front of you to pedal) to try and build up his muscles.

He is able now, (just about :() to ride a normal bike but he does need help getting on and off which I can do, I am also his carer. Does anyone think this will cause any problems with his DLA award?? He still has major problems walking at all buy cycling could really help with his recovery.

All advice/opinions apreciated.

What is his disability?

Its often balance that goes in many disabilities.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with DMG, hoggle.

Inform the DWP that your husband can now ride a bike and they will make the decision as to whether or not he is still entitled to the same level of DLA.

It's not worth the risk of you not telling them, and your husband being filmed, following information received :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Would an exercise bike be a better solution? sorry if this sounds flippant.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • hoggle_2
    hoggle_2 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    What is his disability?

Its often balance that goes in many disabilities.

His problems are due to a very long stay in hospital following serious illness and as a result he has to learn to walk etc again. His core muscles are still very, very weak and his balance isn't as it should be when walking but he can just about manage on a bike.

we do have an exercise bike but were just wondering about the proper bike just so he can get out of the house, and you didn't sound flipant luxor4t :)

Thank you for all of your responses I will speak with DLA.
  • sueturnersmith
    Options
    He might just about be able to ride a bike, physically, but it doesn't sound like he would be safe on the roads. I think I would stick to an exercise bike, and get him a motability scooter so that he can get out of the house independently, if he wants to.
  • hoggle_2
    hoggle_2 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    He might just about be able to ride a bike, physically, but it doesn't sound like he would be safe on the roads. I think I would stick to an exercise bike, and get him a motability scooter so that he can get out of the house independently, if he wants to.

Thank you for your comments, he would have only been riding on a track NEVER on the road :)

Lol he has told me where I can stick the scooter!!! :rotfl: His is only mid 30's.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is a trike an option?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    make it clear to DLA that although he can ride a bike, he requires help to get on and off, that he can't ride it on the road, and that this is an aid to his recovery.

I can quite see how this could be difficult!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    as mentioned above, is a trike not an option? it would still give him some exercise and would help with his balance.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport