decent coffee machine?

Options
2»

Comments

• dihaz
    dihaz Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    If you want an espresso machine (these generally froth milk as well) you need to look at the pump pressure. Espresso is made by forcing hot water through the ground coffee and you need decent pressure to do this efficiently. The same pressure also froths the milk.

Anything less than 10 bar pressure is pretty useless. I think the Gaggia have 15 bar and few machines have that much.

I also have a Gaggia Classic. Had it for about 4 years and it gets heavy use - still as good as the day I bought it. You can get spares for it easily too - Gaggia sales/customer services are excellent. Why did I need spares? I managed to flush part of the milk frother down the sink :o

As for coffee, the espresso at Lidl is excellent and very cheap! The Lavazza is horribly expensive in Sainsbury etc.

I don't think they make the Gran Gaggia any more, but I seem to recall it sold for about £150-£200 - so that recon model is a real bargain. Comes with a warranty too :D
    Hi, thanks for all your replies and help:beer: I have gone for the gran gaggia but one worry i have is because they dont make them any more will i be able to get spare parts etc?Also are their coffee pods anything special or should i just use cheaper ones?
    kind regards:beer:
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Call them and see for how long you can get spares. I think that many of the spare parts are common between different machines i.e. not specific to one particular model.

Can't help with the pods, sorry. I always use loose espresso coffee from Lidl.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure