decent coffee machine?

Options
Any ideas on a decent coffee machine not costing too much(spent £45 and it only lasted a few months).
I would like to know which ones people have used and find the best to make cappacinos(i hope i spelt that right!).
I am spending a fortune at coffee shops and would like to treat myself to a machine for xmas!
i look forward to your replies! :beer:

Comments

• emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would also love one of these machines but I always think they look like they would be hard to clean (same thing puts me off those smoothie makers). It'd be good to hear about peoples experiences...
  • hereistheguy
    Options
    Hey, i got my coffee machine (its an espresso maker and filter coffee!) off ebay, but it was one of the ebay shops. It was one of them ex-catalogue thigs. I got it for £35 and it retails at £89!! Dont forget though, you can still buy all your coffee beans (ground or unground!) from the coffee shops ;) (hint, i work for a major chain of one! :P )
  • Benmollymoo
    Options
    We got a reconditioned one from Gaggia with a 12 month warranty- they have a Gran Gaggia in white for £50 at the moment. We've been really please with our Gaggia. (No I don't work for them!) and normally they're pretty expensive
    http://www.gaggia.uk.com/
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    If you want to make cappucinos you need a machine that makes decent espresso and also steams/froths milk properly.

We bought a recon Gaggia classic and its great (but maybe a bit pricey for you). Check Bens link, then 'shop' icon http://www.gaggia.uk.com/gran.htm
  • dihaz
    dihaz Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to make cappucinos you need a machine that makes decent espresso and also steams/froths milk properly.

We bought a recon Gaggia classic and its great (but maybe a bit pricey for you). Check Bens link, then 'shop' icon http://www.gaggia.uk.com/gran.htm
    They look lovely but sooooooooooo expensive:eek: The only cheap one is £50 and i dont think it froths the milk.
    Any other makes that are any good?
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    Couple of machines here - Briel machines you need to do a bit of research in your price bracket.
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    gaggia gran it appears to froth milk - here's a review of the gaggia gran - they don't get quieter, well the classic isn't and it is a bit basic/leaks! Oh well, makes great coffee though.
  • pennypuppy
    Options
    another thread here talks of discout at john lewis on coffe machines sounds good
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    If you want an espresso machine (these generally froth milk as well) you need to look at the pump pressure. Espresso is made by forcing hot water through the ground coffee and you need decent pressure to do this efficiently. The same pressure also froths the milk.

Anything less than 10 bar pressure is pretty useless. I think the Gaggia have 15 bar and few machines have that much.

I also have a Gaggia Classic. Had it for about 4 years and it gets heavy use - still as good as the day I bought it. You can get spares for it easily too - Gaggia sales/customer services are excellent. Why did I need spares? I managed to flush part of the milk frother down the sink :o

As for coffee, the espresso at Lidl is excellent and very cheap! The Lavazza is horribly expensive in Sainsbury etc.

I don't think they make the Gran Gaggia any more, but I seem to recall it sold for about £150-£200 - so that recon model is a real bargain. Comes with a warranty too :D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • ajr
    ajr Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got oh a woolies own brand one last year,going strong still and works brilliantly
    One day the big prize will be mine!

Expresso coffee maker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family