Options
13»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    This isn't right. As one of the beneficiaries of the estate, she is entitled to what has been given to her in the will, once everything is settled.

You, as the executor, have complete control over the estate until everything is settled. No-one can inherit anything until all the paperwork has been finished.
    Exactly what I thought!
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I wonder if the solicitor has said this just because he/she realises that you can't really force your sister to return items if she continues to deny that she took them.

It's a horrible situation for you and you'll probably have to keep the moral high ground and do everything by the book and hope your sister has a change of heart at some time in the future.

As moneyspanner says, make sure you are reimbursed from the estate for everything you spend.
    Very good advice. I hope you can be reconciled, but in the meantime I'd say it was best to remain on the moral high ground, however tempting it is to retaliate.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Very good advice. I hope you can be reconciled, but in the meantime I'd say it was best to remain on the moral high ground, however tempting it is to retaliate.

And it must be so tempting!
  • JBC45
    JBC45 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Of course it's extremely tempting to try to get my own back. But I don't want to sink to that level.

I just have to accept that I will never have a photo or any memento. But at least I have good memories
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Options
    JBC45 wrote: »
    Of course it's extremely tempting to try to get my own back. But I don't want to sink to that level.

I just have to accept that I will never have a photo or any memento. But at least I have good memories
    Are there any other friends or relatives who might have some photos?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • JBC45
    JBC45 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I've tried getting photos from elsewhere but haven't had any luck. I'm being punished for appointing a solicitor by a few relatives :(
  • nad1611
    nad1611 Posts: 710 Forumite
    Options
    What about the negatives of these photos, given they are old photos there may be negatives lurking in the loft somewhere it's definetly worth looking.
  • paddy's_mum
    Options
    There are times and perhaps this is one of them when all that is left for you to do is believe that what goes around comes around. If it is of any comfort to you at all, it has been my experience in life that those who behave in this unkind way inherit only strife and unhappiness. I'm sorry for your trouble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure