We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cherry Tree from Aldi Today - anyone bought before?

Options
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17569.htm

am wondering whether to get one of these ('Stella') as I've just acquired an lottie (nearly 2wks ago now!!) and just a bit unsure as the quality/health of the rootball as it's apparently 1.2m tall. Has anyone grown one of these before from Aldi. I would prefer a dwarf variety as to be able to control it's height so that I could net it from the birds. Does anyone know if it's a standard Stella or a dwarfing kind? thanks!

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does it have the rootstock on the box?
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gven the cost of Gisela 5 at wholesale prices, I doubt if this is on really dwarfing rootstock.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1.2m tall from the shelf when you buy it. If they are similar to the ones i bought from lidl last year
    they are 12 - 14ft fully grown. Of course you may get one thats shorter/taller.

Too early to tell.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It came also depend on your soil. We are on heavy clay soil so plenty of food for the roots, but stunts the growth. Our lidl trees are still under 6ft after 3 years on heavy soil.

You either take a punt as its cheap and see how big it grows-using pruning to keep it as small as possible or pay out for a recognised root stock and variety. Depends on how much cash you have and how much space. If space is really an issue go for fruit bushes such as blueberry,blackcurrant etc.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• partner
    partner Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I planted a Stella , a pear and a cox aple from Lidl 2 years ago. Last year I had one cherry and two large(cooking apple size) apples. Trees are small but all healthy so I will watch and see what happens.
  • dogstarheaven
    Options
    thanks for that....i think i'm gonna buy a decent one from a mailorder nursery as it least i'd get a dwarf one that will be most suited to my needs and also for the variety i prefer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure