Unsolicited phone calls

Options
Been receiving quite a few of those lately. Has anybody use the service "Telephone Service Preference" where you register your phone number to stop getting these calls? It's just I am interested to know how do they know which calls to stop. Can you de-register once you have registered? Thanks

Comments

• sergeant121
    Options
    I've been ex-directory and registered with TPS for years.

The only unsolicited calls I ever receive are from BT (and they get the sharp edge of my tongue for using their records of my numbers for such a purpose).

Why would you want to allow some unsolicited calls to continue?
    30 years, 217 days!
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get yourself and 0870 or 081 number. Advertise it widely and then at least you will derive some income for being bothered!
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marylee wrote:
    Been receiving quite a few of those lately. Has anybody use the service "Telephone Service Preference" where you register your phone number to stop getting these calls? It's just I am interested to know how do they know which calls to stop. Can you de-register once you have registered? Thanks

Here is the info

This is the freephone number if you want to do it on the phone 0800 398893
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the only calls it does'nt stop are the scam calls from abroad

if I get one from the U.K. (rarely) I just ask them why they are ringing when I am registered with the tps, normally the phone goes dead straight away as they can be fined ...lol
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Curry_Queen
    Options
    If you're registered with TPS and continue to get calls ask for their name and the name of the company they're calling from then tell them you are reporting them for breaking TPS rules and they will be liable for a fine ;)

I did that once and have not received a call since! :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had to register with the TPS a second time since I still received a few calls after the first time. There's maybe a couple that have got through in the last six months.

In the 3-4 years I've been back with BT they haven't made any calls because I'd made it clear I didn't want any. (Although I'd requested no sales calls the guy still asked me throughout the setting up of account).

Those calls from abroad trying to give me a free 3G/tmobile phone. ARRGHHH. Although I don't seem to get as many of those since I started putting the phone down on the side.
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you use callthrough numbers from just-dial or any of its affiliates (who occasionally put refer posts on here)? Read the T&C - the number will be sold to telemarketers
    Use of the service will be deemed to be an agreement to allow relevant marketing of telecom services to your telephone number.
    If so dial 141 in front to withhold your number
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport