Camera question

in Techie Stuff
3 replies 566 views
I am thinking of giving my dad my beloved Nikon D40 and purchasing a new one for myself. I am obviously going to want to upgrade, but what would be the natural next step.

I love my camera, as does my dad lol....but if im moving up, i would like to stay in the Nikon range.

Any adivce happily received, as im a little cluless, but need to act fast as we are away to vietnam and cambodia next week and if its with my new cam i need some play time :)) before we set off.
:naughty:

Replies

• Well if you want to stay within the Nikon range of cameras I would recommend either the D90 or D300, if you dont have the money to spend on the D300 then the D90 is what you will need :)
  • Dave_C_2Dave_C_2 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Any advice happily received, as I'm a little clueless, but need to act fast as we are away to Vietnam and Cambodia next week and if its with my new cam i need some play time :)) before we set off.

I'm a keen photographer and made the change from my beloved Pentax film camera to a Nikon D40 just before a holiday.

Bad decision, I ended up taking lots of shots on a ridiculously high ISO setting because I wasn't familiar with the camera - I found out when i got home that it is easily fixed with the two-button reset.

I would strongly advise taking the camera that you are familiar with.

Also the D40 won't need special insurance cover - check your holiday insurance policy.

Dave
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I would not part with my D40 - bought it because it was a simple DSLR, and if I am after quick shots I just leave it to it's own devices, it has not let me down yet. I have used other DSLRs and I cannot get anywhere near the same results. All I would say is if you do change, make sure you have a few months of practice first.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals