Need help to decide what is the best thing to do!

Options
I need some help trying to work out the best thing to do.

My husband is ill and no longer working. He will hopefully be moved into higher rate DLA for mobility and care. Hopefully, he will be moved into the support group ESA.

I work full time but want to drop some hours so that I can be at home to look after him. If I want to claim WTC I will have to work 16 hours but if I want to claim carers allowance I will have to drop down to about 13 hours as I will be over the limit of amount you are allowed to earn. I dont know which is the best way to go, will I be able to claim any council tax rebate or any other help.

I can only drop my hours for 3 months and will then have to decide wether to go back to work full time or take the less hours (13 or 16) as my permanent contract. As I am hoping that he will be with me for some time yet I have to make sure that I make the right decision. Thanks for any imput.

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whether you can claim any council tax rebate depends on what the joint income (DLA is ignored) you & your husband have coming in. WTC is counted too.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Options
    When do you need to make this decision?

If it's not urgent then wait until your husband receives the decisions on his DLA and ESA. That will allow you to work out what money you have coming in and how to arrange your home/work life so that your husband receives the best care and you receive the best support.
    The decisions you face are not all financial, you need to take into consideration what is best for you in terms of your husband's health and care needs, and also your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure