PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Honestly, I did not make this up... Unbelievable situation please help

Options
In 2003 I bought a converted victorian ground floor and basement flat. It took a little longer than usual for the sale to complete as there was an issue with the basement (2nd bedroom) not being included in the lease. After several months a variation to the lease was drawn up to include the basement(deed of variation).

My partner and I have now spent seven years in the flat and have finally decided on selling. The intention is to move out and rent so we can look for somthing without the hassle of trying to sell. We sold the flat but a week before exchange we were told that there was once again an issue with the basement. Unknown to us there was an issue submitting the deed of variation to Land Registery that still has not been resolved in the last seven yearsand we were not informed about this.

Here is where it starts to get bad...
- The freehold is in the name of a person who is dead so the deed ofvariation cannot be submitted as it's in the name of the management company (wrong from the start).
- There are 3 executors to his will, two are his daughters who are directors of are management company and his wife. All three need to sign a document so that we can register the variation.

This is the impossible bit...
- His wife is an alcoholic and has just been committed to a mental health institute.
- She lives in Australia
- That's Brisbane where there has just been major flooding

All we have to go on to resolve this is that the management company are going to email the legal guardian. This does not fill me with hope.

After you finish laughing in astonishment any ideas would be very appreciated.

Comments

• Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Take action against your solicitor? 7 years is a long time not to get a deed lodged!
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Yep, speak to the solicitor who did the original conveyancing.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I opened the thread thinking "Yeah, heard it all before....." ... but blimey! You really do win the award of "problem of the year".

Good luck.
  • khattam
    Options
    I have actually spoken to the original solicitor who was very very co-operative. He said to me that this was going on until 2006, three years after we had bought. They realised then that it was a problem but they didn't inform us. Ultimately, I do feel that the ball was in our management companies hands as they were the only people able to resolve it.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You paid your old solictor to do a job. They did not complete it. They need to do this now, urgently.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    khattam wrote: »
    I have actually spoken to the original solicitor who was very very co-operative. He said to me that this was going on until 2006, three years after we had bought. They realised then that it was a problem but they didn't inform us. Ultimately, I do feel that the ball was in our management companies hands as they were the only people able to resolve it.

If your solicitor let you complete thinking this was all sorted, I would think you have grounds to sue him for any consequential loss.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 January 2011 at 6:21PM
    Options
    You need to go back to the solicitor who dealt with the purchase for you.

You have to give them the opportunity to correct this mistake, and if necessary you will need to go through their complaints procedure. If you are still not satisfied you may make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman and ask them to investigate - tel 0300 555 0333.

But your first port of call should be the solicitor who is dealing with the sale for you, as s/he is the best person to advise you and should also contact the previous solicitor on your behalf.

EDIT just read your second post - tbh it is not good enough that they realised there was a problem, but did not inform you and did nothing to resolve it. That is simply not acceptable.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • khattam
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    If your solicitor let you complete thinking this was all sorted, I would think you have grounds to sue him for any consequential loss.

Well as the variation was drawn up in our name they could only have discovered this on completion. Having said that though, they should have noticed the discrepancy between the freeholder and the name on the variation of the deed.

Spoke to a solicitor but he think we would have to wait until we effectively loose something, such as our buyers. Definately going to explore this further.
  • khattam
    Options
    I am going to call the original solicitor tomorrow as I need to update him on how things are progressing. I can't see him being much help though.
  • Cissi
    Cissi Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Options
    khattam wrote: »
    I am going to call the original solicitor tomorrow as I need to update him on how things are progressing. I can't see him being much help though.

...unless you're prepared to take this to the Legal Ombudsman as suggested above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure