good old co-op

Options
went in there on Friday and managed to get enough bargains for five main meals for under a tenner, went in this morning and got another five meals for just over a tenner. Stewing steak and a stew pack (two meals), sausages (90% pork) two meals and a pizza and ham. Dont you just love it when you get a bargain.

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    I wish I knew! My local Co-op is pants. There's a huge amount of local competition and their fruit and veg prices are astronomical. I have no idea how they ever sell any and the yellow-stickers are few and far between whenever I'm in there. Note to self: try popping in at ten o'clock at night.
  • GreenNinja
    Options
    My local Co Op is pretty good too! Tuesday seems to be the best day for bargains on the meat etc, I usually pop in around 5.20 on my way home from work and can get some really good reductions which helps the meal planning!
  • missminx007
    Options
    i managed to get a smallbacon/gammon joint for a pound yesterday!!! our local co op is great too, I still havent really fathomed out when they knock things down though, I think they might do it in the day so it gets more chance to sell.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i like the coop...always something reduced...i too have not fathomed when is the best time as it changes
    onwards and upwards
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Somerfields quite near us recently changed to the co-op and the difference is amazing. The shop looks cleaner, the stuff is better, and the reduced stuff is brilliant when I can get up for it. Quality shop.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is a big advertising campaign at the moment on the TV about just buying what you want when you want it. It incenses me because i find it impossible.

I want a couple of tomatoes - they are in packs of 6
    same with onions
    apples
    carrots
    etc, etc, etc.

So i go to Morrisons 2 minutes away and get exactly what i want when I want it.

The manager says he cant and doestnt have any choice.
    Why arent the managers allowed to manage.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    Our co-op seems to have improved....I noticed before Xmas that they were doing a lot of competitive offers with the likes of Asda and Tesco. I found it quite surprising as the one near my mum's used to be sooo expensive...

Since New Year there have been a number of good reductions...

There seems no rhyme or reason with ours either....Sandwiches etc are reduced from 12:30 onwards and there is a number of things in the 2 reduced sections but we've been at other times of the day and there is still reductions...

Some of their regular priced items aren't too bad either and actually would work out cheaper than Asda or Tesco taking into account petrol....Don't know whether because they have the advertising campaign at the moment they're lulling you into a false sense of security....:rotfl:

You do have to beware of being overcharged though...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yesterday in my local Somerfield/Co-op, I bought 5 packs of 'mixed nuts in shell' a reduced price of 38p . This is for a 400g pack. Initially they were selling for '2 for £5'. The best before date is 01/02/11 but I imagine they can keep for quite a while yet.
    This supermarket is actually closing down on 18/2 and they were selling heavily reduced wine for £1.99 a bottle on Friday but are now unfortunately all gone. I carried 17 bottles of red wine from Chile up the hill.
    First pain, then pleasure!
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our local co-op was ok until they got taken over by somerfield now it's brilliant! I very often don't bother with any other supermarkets because it's a one mile journey to co-op, compared to 5 or 10 miles to the others, tesco, morrisons etc.

The dividends aren't as good as Tesco but on a par with Nectar points for sainsburys.

We don't get brilliant marked down prices like some of you have had though :cool:

The only trouble with ours (and it's well known for it lol) is there's loads of pensioners around so they go slowly for them to pack their goods...... some pensioners even work on the tills (fab, part time work for them if they want it) but they're so s.l.o.w too. sometimes l want to scream! I can't pop in before the school run because you never know how long it'll take.

Happy moneysaving all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport