Do i need to pay this

stupidly i didn't renew my car tax last year, been a really tough year and now getting demands from a company on behalf of the dvla wanting £80 to which i've ignored (stupidly) . I no longer have the car and sold it so i'm not the owner.

can they still chase me for this, it's the usual last demand before court etc...

i couldn't pay it just now anyway, just don't know what to do.

Comments

• Gene_Hunt_2
    Gene_Hunt_2 Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    Have you got a letter from the DVLA saying your no longer responsible for the car?
  • john0612
    john0612 Posts: 412 Forumite
    Gene_Hunt wrote: »
    Have you got a letter from the DVLA saying your no longer responsible for the car?
    yes,
    the standard if you recieve reminder etc please ignore it.

if you get any penalty notices for this vehicle you should contact the office the sent you it.

if you applied for refund of vehicle tax we will sen you this shortly.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Is the tax unpaid some that accrued between the previous tax expiring and you selling the car?

In which case you do owe it, and they are correct to pursue you for it.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think the DVLA are one of the few cases where they do chase you to the courts for payment.
    More so that CC debts etc.

Someone will clear that up us, Hopefully.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• KierNet
    KierNet Posts: 2,775 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    john0612 wrote: »
    stupidly i didn't renew my car tax last year, been a really tough year and now getting demands from a company on behalf of the dvla wanting £80 to which i've ignored (stupidly) . I no longer have the car and sold it so i'm not the owner.

can they still chase me for this, it's the usual last demand before court etc...

i couldn't pay it just now anyway, just don't know what to do.

Where you the owner when it wasn't taxed? If so the offence has been committed, so you are responsible for it, doesn't matter if you sold the car.

If the other person drove without it taxed, the DVLA need to prove that you didn't send the paperwork off saying you don't own it...very hard to do.

Think I've read the question right!
    What is pi? Where did it come from?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family