IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Time to buy a new car? Steel prices up 66% this year?

edited 31 January 2011 at 1:34PM in Motoring
2 replies 564 views
HintzaHintza PPR
19.4K Posts
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 31 January 2011 at 1:34PM in Motoring
Steel prices are set to jump by up to 66 per cent this year, top executives and analysts have said, a burst of inflation on a scale the industry has suffered just once in the past 70 years.

In a set of forecasts provided for the Financial Times by 16 steel experts around the world – including six senior executives and 10 industry analysts – projections of the year-on-year rise in prices by the end of 2011 average 32 per cent.

That would make the price of the average grade of steel as defined by Meps, a UK steel consultancy, $970 per tonne by December.

If this turns out to be correct, the rise in steel prices during the year will be the second-biggest jump since modern records began in the 1940s.
See graphic: http://www.ft.com/cms/69a3a8da-2707-11e0-80d7-00144feab49a.jpg

Replies

• edited 31 January 2011 at 12:54PM
    Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    edited 31 January 2011 at 12:54PM
    More like time to worry about going out to your car in the morning, ice scraper in hand and finding nowt but a set of tyre's and some rubber hoses :rotfl:
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • vaiovaio Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Strider590 wrote: »
    More like time to worry about going out to your car in the morning, ice scraper in hand and finding nowt but a set of tyre's and some rubber hoses :rotfl:

reminds me of when I had an alfasud
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum