Data on iPhone

Options
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've just got back from holiday and I've had data roaming turned off on my phone all the time, however I've returned to find that there's a HUGE amount of data been used on my O2 bill. What can I do about it as it's clearly not my fault...?! Is there a bug with the iPhone or something?

Cheers for any help you can be!

Comments

• jayme1
    jayme1 Posts: 2,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what iOS version are you using.

go settings > general > about and it should tell you, something like 3.x.x or 4.x.x also what exact version of the iphone is it? eg 3GS, 4 ect.
  • davb
    davb Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    There is an MSE article about exactly what you mention here that is worth a read.
  • mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've just got back from holiday and I've had data roaming turned off on my phone all the time, however I've returned to find that there's a HUGE amount of data been used on my O2 bill. What can I do about it as it's clearly not my fault...?! Is there a bug with the iPhone or something?

Cheers for any help you can be!

sounds like youve accidentally reactivated it. you can turn turn data roaming off but if you check email or anything that will use data it will turn it back on and unless you realise it will then use data. I took my iphone to use, turned off data roaming and 3g and zeroed the the data counter, and regularly checked it.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you were holidaying in an EU country, your data usage should have been capped (don't remember at what value) unless you opted out.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • inanavalanche
    Options
    Looks like it was the linked article above.

Called O2 and they've refunded it so that's a bonus - cheers guys!
  • OK_Sauce
    OK_Sauce Posts: 988 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For future reference you can cap the usage/amount charged simply by giving O2 a call and saying that if the charges for any month exceeds xx amount then cut off the data service. That's what I did last year with my wife's iPhone. It does give great peace of mind whilst abroad!
    "...IT'S FRUITY!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport