The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Had to baked bean upgrade

This is for those Tesco shoppers again. Anyone else are welcome to join in.

For sometime I had been buying Tesco Value beans as they were value for someone like me who lives on his own. However, at some point, they changed and no longer became value.

Up until that point, you got something like 3 quarters of a tin full of beans with the space filled with sauce. Now they're something like half filled with beans, the rest is sauce.

I use to be able to split a single tin between 2 meals, now they only last for 1 meal, after draining some of the sauce which makes them too watered down if you know what I mean.

Now I have to buy the next cheapest on our Tesco shelves which are those red labelled Tesco brand ones that you can buy as single tins, or save like 10p if you buy them in a pack of 4. However, a single tin costs twice as much as the value, but you do get the 3 quarter full of beans.

Has anyone noticed this as well?

Oh, I also had to stop getting the Tesco Value mushy peas as they did the same with them. After a few trials, I've settled on Bachelors brand beans. A few pence more than Tesco brand (none value label) but much better quality.

Comments

• i usually wait for the 4-packs to be on offer for a pound. works out cheaper than the supernmarket's own brand. branston is on offer usually
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Has anyone noticed this as well?

Oh, I also had to stop getting the Tesco Value mushy peas as they did the same with them. After a few trials, I've settled on Bachelors brand beans. A few pence more than Tesco brand (none value label) but much better quality.

If the next brand up costs twice as much, but only contains an extra 50% of beans, you're still better buying two tins of the value. Provided, of course, that you still like the flavour :p

Harry Ramsdens are the best mushy peas, imo :D
  • Tesco does 'Oak Lane' Beans, same price as Value (29p), only they taste amazing!

Also Tesco own brand mushy peas are the same price as their value ones (18p)!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I can never understand for somethings why people buy value.

Beans are one of those items. Branston beans often go on offer at a £1 for a pack of 4. Making it 25p a can compared to value which I think are about 29p a can.

I never buy value beans for the reason above. I don't even eat them myself as they are evil but my husband likes them.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    calleyw wrote: »
    I never buy value beans for the reason above. I don't even eat them myself as they are evil but my husband likes them.

Yours

Calley

I wouldn't go as far as saying value baked beans are evil lol
  • shikoku
    shikoku Posts: 671 Forumite
    I noticed the surplice liquid in the mushy peas, unhappily I have 5 more tins to get through before I can upgrade, I think Smedleys were okay last time I used them :(
    ~*~ If you don't need it, it isn't a bargain ~*~
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i buy branston beans when they are 4 for £1 from lidl and harry ramsden mushy peas 3 for £1 from iceland
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    we changed a couple years back to heniz, i could never eat heniz as far to rich. value were lovely. but they changed and became so watery and werid tasting. heinz is often on offer 2 packs for 4 for £3, so still slighly dearer than the 29p value as they work out about 37p ish. but they are so much nicer.

i stocked up on branston beans when tesco had buy 1 pack of 4 and get 2 packs free, so for about £2.40 was getting 12 cans for that making them only 20p a can.
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    my lot will only eat heinz im personally not fussed as i dont tend to like them, yet with other makes i have found that there is more juice than beans
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    the branston beans are on offer at asda for £1 for 4 tins, so again, cheaper than the value/smart price beans (or certainly not far off)
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure