Google Adwords has anyone used it?

Options
2»

Comments

• chrispyphillips
    Options
    richt71 wrote:
    I think you're refering to google adsense (where you get paid per click to place google ads on relevant sites). Whereas I believe this thread is about google adwords which is the 'other' side of the coin and means you paying google to have your links and keywords placed on sites.

In terms of adwords. I think it works well but you need to find your keywords and the amount you're willing to pay!

Sorry, you're right, it was that one! I cant get to grips with them!
  • richt71
    richt71 Posts: 946 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, you're right, it was that one! I cant get to grips with them!
    Basically what google did late last year is stop people from using linking pages etc to fool the search engine into thinking you had a relevant page on the adsense keyword subject. Now you need to have relevant articles on at least one page before google will authorise you. So say you are getting paid on dog training - you'd now have to have an article on dog training with your adsense keyword on that page. It needs a bit of effort now but if you do make the effort then you'll get approved and your page will be ranked in google.
    I learnt this from a successful multimillionaire that makes his living from doing this!
  • MatthewN
    Options
    My advice is tread carefully. Your keyword selection is the key here. Dont bother paying $1+ for any keywords when a similar popular search term can cost you just a few cents per click. Also you can use various tools such as targetting the UK only, and searching for something but not with something else. It's about being smart and setting yourself a monthly limit. Even if you set a daily limit of £10 then it can go over that. I seem to remember their rule says if you set £10/day limit (£300/Month) then it gives them flexibility to go over the £10/day but you will never go over £300/Month. (if that makes sense ;)).

Just be careful :)
    - Matthew - Yep I'm new here :)
    Debt at Highest £26500 - 23rd Nov 2006.[strike]
    £26100 - 29 Nov 2006, £23000 - 26 Jan 2007, £18100 - 13 April 2007, £15200 - 18 Sep 2007, £17600 - 19 March 2008[/strike]
    Debt Now - £15000 14 September 2008
  • jellyang
    jellyang Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I find adwords very up & down. When I first started advertising 3 years ago I was paying 2-3p per click & getting good orders through everyday.

Now I pay 10p per click get loads of wasted clicks. There is more competition so its not all googles fault

They often go over your budgets but it is easy to manually pause your adverts. I check mine several times a day.

My biggest gripe with them is when I do a bank transfer to load my account, you get a very long ref number which is easy to get wrong & then it takes 5-10 days for the money to get into my adwords account, so they make money just by keeping your money for a few days.

Give it a go but watch your account & only preload your account with small amounts until you are sure what you are doing .

jellyang
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

In order to hone in on good keywords to use, try the overture keyword suggestion tool...
    http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

also google have tools - the site related keyword generator. Run this on your own site, but also run it on your competitors pages to see what keywords they have optimised their pages for...
    https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

also, google show bar graphs for each keyword, on advertiser competition and search volume. Ideally you want to find little competition with a good search volume, but finding keywords that are relevant and fit that criteria is often difficult to do.

In my experience so far, do not get hung up on getting the number 1 position, be satisfied with being on the first page and you will save money and get click thru's and sales.
  • JulianF_2
    JulianF_2 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to save-a-lot and all the other contibutors to this very interesting thread. I'm looking at adwords and this has helped me a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure