PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone know of an alternative for tamarind paste?

Options
Found a really nice looking recipe, and I have everything in that is says but that.
I could probably get some from the shop round the corner, but I'm trying not to spend any money at the moment and don't want to buy something I may not use again.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• Pink_Giraffe
    Options
    Try dark muscovado (sp?) sugar diluted with lime or lemon juice.

Failing that tamarind is apparently the main ingredient in Worcester sauce so I'd be tempted to try that (but I don't guarantee it as I've never tried it!!)
  • dogstarheaven
    Options
    saw it in morrison's (i think it was there, if not tesco or asda) last week, in the ethnic food section for 49p for a slab of dried pulp. it's got seeds in it, and all you do, is to put a small piece into some hot water to turn into a paste. i think the dried pulp can keep for a long while. it's cheap enough anyway.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks both.
    Sods law I just gave the last of my limes away as I didn't think I'd be needing them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What's the recipe? It may just need a bit of acidity so anything not too sharp like a rice vinegar will do the trick.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Potato and cauliflower curry, sauce based on tomato and coconut with fresh coriander, cardamon and various other ground spices, fish sauce, but I'm using soy instead, and the tamarind. (The cardamon sold it to me - I love that stuff.) Just found a jif lemon lurking in the cupboard, so I'll try that instead. Really looking forward to this one.

• angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love cardamom too :) Just leave the tamarind out, it'll be fine without it. You could also try this substitute but I've no idea if it's any good or not!
  • dogstarheaven
    Options
    i must admit - mine was chucked out ages ago, because it just sat there in my fridge for months on end. it's v popular for oriental dishes from Malay, Philippines, Thailand etc., (not Chinese or Japanese). Last time I used it was a Beef Rendang (a beef curry from Malaysia) that took about 30 ingredients and loads of processes! I shan't be making that again as it didn't wow me enough!
  • justin1972uk
    Options
    Tamarind is one of the main ingredients of HP Sauce.

Might be a bit too vinegary though if you add a large dollop. Maybe a couple of teaspoons?
  • dogstarheaven
    Options
    hmm, that's interesting about HP sauce (that's the brown sauce to us non-fans???) let us know if that works, then i'll nick my OH's sauce as a good substitute!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure