address fraud

Options
Someone has started using our address and phone number to order stuff. Obviously a couple of things have slipped through otherwise I wouldn't have realised this. The latest is a sim card from giffgaff. I'm at a loss to know what to do about it as the police won't act unless a crime has been committed (which apparently it hasn't) & the Post Office has taken the same line. I'm worried someone is intercepting mail address to this phantom person & getting mobile phones/credit cards. Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Hax
    Hax Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    Don't worry about it - so long as they're not using your name and address then it will have no impact on your credit records.

FWIW - just cross through the name and address, write "Not known at this address on the envelope" and stick it back in the post box. You're not supposed to open mail addressed to someone else.
    My posts are my own opinions based on my experiences and info gathered from sites such as this.
    They are not a substitute for professional financial advice - but you knew that already didn't you? ;)
    VSP 2011 - Member #25 - Started 6th December 2010 - Total As Of 4th May 2011 (21 weeks in!) - £323.67/£500 - So far so good!
  • Mr2011
    Options
    Hi - somthing simular is happening to us - we just bought our house - have lived here for three years already and now getting mail from Tesco Car Insurence, Banks, and the DVLA all addressesed to somone else - but to our address?

Have reported it to Trading Standards who said they could not do anything and to just throw in bin or return to sender marked 'not known at this address' - was told it was OK to open it as its our address and how would we know who to return it to?

Spoke to Action Fraud who state its probably potential fruad against the companies - nothing to worry about and to check my credit rating! However Im worried now as bills are starting to turn up - one was from a major bank with £1,000s in overdrafts - what happens if balifs start turning up?

Took letters into banks inthe highstreet and basically got the cold shoulder they dont seem to give a stuff - spoke to Trading Standards and Action Fruad again and told to write letters demanding action - but still nothing and we still are getting these letters - is there anyway to stop this? This never happend before we bought the house or went on the electoral role!

any help?
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    I admire your restraint, given your circumstances, in not registering or asking for advice until a very similar situation was posted by another brand new user.
    Ethical moneysaver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport