Kitchen Work Quote

Options
I'm having a new kitchen installed and there's a number of jobs that need doing before the kitchen fitters come.

I got the following quote, could you guys tell me if it seems fair?

The room is 3.73m x 5.15m.

- Removal of existing floor tiles = £100

- Fitting of new tiles (including adhesive and grout, excluding tiles) = £570

- Re-boarding ceiling with 12.5mm plasterboard = £80 for boards, £260 for fitting

- Removal and disposal of existing kitchen units and stud wall (to open kitchen/utility into one room) = £160

- Repairing plastering on remaining walls where partition wall removed and skimming ceiling = £300

- Moving loft hatch from kitchen (previously in utility room) into garage next door = £60

- Re-routing of gas pipe from existing site, across room to site of new cooker = £100

Thanks
Richard

Comments

• all seems reasonable apart from fitting of new tiles thats a bit steep.if the removal of floor tiles are the ceramic ones then this is a good price as they are a nightmare to take up.( my personal experience)so lets hope the fitting of the new tiles are to make the floor good before fit.

good luck
  • chez_2
    chez_2 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Janice :) The existing tiles are ceramic, so may not be too bad overall?

Any more thoughts anyone?
  • mbailey
    mbailey Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chez wrote:
    - Re-boarding ceiling with 12.5mm plasterboard = £80 for boards, £260 for fitting

This bit sounds expensive...
  • chez_2
    chez_2 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    mbailey wrote:
    This bit sounds expensive...

the boards or the fitting?
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Options
    As with all posts of this nature, it depends where you are in the country as much as what work is being undertaken, the prices in Aberdeen are in no way realted to those in Greater or Central London.

Taken on face value, it all looks very reasonable to me. But then I'm in Surrey.

Which includes the ceiling, which, will take two guys all day and I assume includes taping and finishing in preparation for painting.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On average it adds up to a reasonable price for the work IMO.
    Happy chappy
  • owls
    owls Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    plastering sounds expensive a 2.4m by 1.2m 12.5 firelineplasterboard[pink in colour] costs around a maximum of a tenner to buy standard board less than 5 quid make sure they are quoting for fire boards. being a kitchen it wants to be a firelineboard not a standard board[ivory in colour.] to meet regs.if the room is reasonably square one man could plasterboard and plaster easy in one day.
  • gogsboy
    gogsboy Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Alan_M wrote:
    the prices in Aberdeen are in no way realted to those in Greater or Central London.

Say you dont know and you'll be right ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure