Onetel bought out by British Gas

Options
I have to apologise at the start because I only have sketchy info but it may be of use to some of you.

I've just had to call British Gas about my parents' phone and the chap told me that BG have just bought out Onetel, so that anyone who has a British Gas Home Phone account will be switched over to Onetel in the coming weeks. It hasn't been made 'public' yet but they are going to start advertising it soon. From what he said, if you have a BG phone AND get your electricity via British Gas, then you will be given the free evening and weekend calls package (normal cost £4.99) for free, with no time limit. If you don't want this package, or perhaps don't qualify because your leccy comes from elsewhere, then you will be switched onto the £4.99 pcm tariff.

He didn't think the current £20 Onetel offer would be made available to transferees, so it probably isn't going to start happening before March.

Can't find anything about this elsewhere yet, just thought some of you may like to know.

TM

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Options
    Centrica own Brtish Gas and One-Tel and have done for some time!
  • thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Onetel were an Australian outfit that overstetched themselves and Centrica bought them a long while ago. BG used to be linked with Centrica, again a long time ago.

Centrica are now a "services company". This means they sell-on consumer products to anyone who'll buy them - an example of their activities was the AA. They bought this from the members of the AA themselves, developed the service a bit, and then sold it off for about double what they paid. They distributed the profit to Centrica shareholders by a special dividend in late 2004.

It's unlikely that Centrica will pass up any marketing opportunity available to them, and if this means exploiting details of the gas customers who still think they are supporting good old British Gas then...so much the better.

Unless you agree to change your telecommunications supplier then you'll stay with whoever you're with now, even if it is BT. But beware that just as happened at energy supply deregulation there will be commission-agents around who will forge your signature on bits of paper saying you agree to move over. If a smart young man or woman with a clipboard hijacks you outside your usual supermarket or on your doorstep and promises amazing phone deals, just ask for a tariff and rental leaflet and refuse to give any further details. Should you get a letter from your usual supplier saying "we're sorry to lose you...", call them and say "who said we were going?"

You have a right to withdraw from any alleged transfer; exercise it.
  • Ticklemouse
    Options
    Thanks for the above. I didn't know about Centrica, never really needed to, I don't think.:o Maybe it was the chap on the other end of the phone who thinks this is new :D

I'm not with BG for anything. Parents are, and was trying to switch their phones anyway, only rang up to find out some international rates so could prove to Dad how much I was saving him.

Oh well, get ready for the rush of advertising next month. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport