20% off of Michelin tyres at Costco

Options

Comments

• stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Options
    albalad wrote:
    I thought costco had stopped supplying kormoran tyres , as they were undercutting their core business "michelin"

Good point I last bought about 30 months ago & haven't seen them since but in the summer I spoke to the tyre blokey there and he said they could "quote & get any tyre supplied by Michelin UK inc Komoran"
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You do need to shop around..

I did ask Costco for a price for 2 tyres for my Focus Zetec £85 each for Michelins.
    Went to Tyrespot got quoted £65 for Pirelli P6000's (what I already had on). Got them fitted + tracking done - Total bill £105 :T

I even got them to do my Major service + MOT -£130 versus £210 at dealership. Got the service book stamped and no additional work was required for MOT - I'm sure the dealership would have found something to bill me for...

FYI - Tyrespot are a North East based chain. Never had any problems with them and prices are good.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
  • itscheapandiwantit
    Options
    blinky wrote:
    You do need to shop around..

I did ask Costco for a price for 2 tyres for my Focus Zetec £85 each for Michelins.
    Went to Tyrespot got quoted £65 for Pirelli P6000's (what I already had on). Got them fitted + tracking done - Total bill £105 :T

I even got them to do my Major service + MOT -£130 versus £210 at dealership. Got the service book stamped and no additional work was required for MOT - I'm sure the dealership would have found something to bill me for...

FYI - Tyrespot are a North East based chain. Never had any problems with them and prices are good.

Can they not add up?

Or has maths changed since O'Level ?:confused:
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Obviously decided to discount the prices...
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
  • ultrak3wl
    Options
    I normally like Costco but they are USELESS for tyres. I went in to to get one tyre fitted and chose the Michelin. They were going to just do it but then told me they didn't have it in stock but could get it in a few days. I agreed, paid them the money, and got a receipt.

The few days passed and I got a phone call from them to say that the tyre I want had been discontinued by the manufacturers and they couldn't get any more. Bear in mind this is a tyre for a Vauxhall Vectra not some exotic Clarkson Speedster. I thought that was bogus but didn't argue and agreed that I would just claim my money back next time I was there.

Both of the next two times I visited them the tyre-receipts guy was unavailable and we ended up walking miles around the whole shop looking for him unsuccessfully - they wouldn't refund me without him authorising it. I carried that receipt around in my wallet for about two months and eventually just went up to the normal customer service and demanded a refund or else.

The only good thing about Costco tyres is that their prices are "OK-ish" also while they do the fitting you can do the rest of your shopping.
    [size=+2]I MSE[/size]
  • Can they not add up?

Or has maths changed since O'Level ?:confused:

Maybe £32.50 per tyre + £40 for tracking? Sounds like a bargain but different tyres to the ones Costco were quoting on though so a bit difficult to compare!
  • psimpson_2
    Options
    I had a set of these some years ago and found them to be very good value so phoned up my local Costco branch to check availability in case they only sold Kormoran tyres in smaller sizes.

Whilst they sell 195 65 15s, the man in the tyre centre said that they would have to phone Michelin up for availability as Kormoran tyres were hard to get hold of these days.

I suspect that the number of suppliers in the UK has increased but the number of tyres being imported here by Kormoran hasn't.
  • sadmaus
    Options
    I've only recently joined costco (Leeds) will they fit tyres while you wait and can you just turn up or do you need to book in beforehand?
    Thanks
  • ghanagirl
    ghanagirl Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    They have a board outside the main door at chingford with time slots on, if there are none available you can book a slot for a later date but weekend are always full.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    ghanagirl wrote: »
    They have a board outside the main door at chingford with time slots on, if there are none available you can book a slot for a later date but weekend are always full.

You do realise they asked that question 9 months ago!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure