Patio Doors +

Hello All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster!

Am in the process of getting some quotes (around 4 if all the companies I contacted get back to me) for:
  • 2 patio doors
  • a back door and
  • 6 windows (all around 1.39m x 1.21m)
  • with the possibility of replacing the 4 panes in the lean-to, depending on price
So far I have one quote for the patio doors only, £2k for Aluminium and around £1.6k for UPVc.

House is on West London/ Berks Borders

All companies are local firms, mostly if not all family-run and all have either GGF or FENSA (if not both) registration

Is £2k normal for just the ONE patio door? What kind of price should I be paying?

Any advice/ recommendations warmly welcomed

Regards from the Alley Cat:)

Comments

• ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We got Rehau Tilt&Slide patio doors, about 1.8m width - the cost was £1140, and that is for white inside, mahogany on the outside. I am loving the door now - we only had it for about 6 weeks, though. I guess in summer it will be even better when we can open the door by just tilting for some ventilation.
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • i would say you would be looking in the £4500 region for the above and if youll take my advice avoid tilt and slide patio doors
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • Innys
    Innys Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    a6windows wrote: »
    i would say you would be looking in the £4500 region for the above and if youll take my advice avoid tilt and slide patio doors

Why wouldn't you recommend this type of door then?
  • a6windows wrote: »
    i would say you would be looking in the £4500 region for the above and if youll take my advice avoid tilt and slide patio doors
    I would second this view
    Lots of problems with the gearing the companies I contract to have not used them for years for this reason
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Tilt and Slide doors are fine if you are still living in the 80's ;)
  • I would second this view
    Lots of problems with the gearing the companies I contract to have not used them for years for this reason
    thats why. Over 21 years of business and one of the biggest problems was people not using them properly turning handle to quick and gearing jumps off etc . I gave up fitting them 7 years ago when a customers relative broke the mechanism while at a party at the house .Roto gearing on the patio was discontinued the doors were less than 3 years old and the customer was quite obviously upset at having to replace the whole gear mechanism just because the link arm at the top had been snapped
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • I've had 2 quotes so far and am awaiting another 2 tomorrow, am not sure if I'm allowed to say the names of the companies but the quotes are so far are:
    • £1875 for 7 windows/ £2500 for lean-to conservatory with 4 panels and new back door / £986 for patio door
    • £2795 with another co. for the 7 windows (still awaiting their quote for the lean-to) and £1150-£1450 for patio door depending on if we want UPVc or Aluminium
    Both sets of people seemed professional enough but I think the higher quotes reflected the higher spec of products they use (A-rated Glass as opposed to C-rated) so I guess I will wait to see if I am seduced by cheap prices alone!!

Will let you know about the other 2 lot who are coming tomorrow :)
  • TommyLee
    TommyLee Posts: 29 Forumite
    Window & Door Quotes ............?:eek:

Unless someone is having or had the same items fitted within the past few months and lives in the same area as you - the only option you have on comparing prices is between companies!

Firstly you say your West London - Berks border ........... if you use a London based firm they will charge you higher prices because they will claim they have higher overheads (being based in London!!!) - so your best bet is to find a company close to you, but that is based outside of London to give you some quotes.

I live in ''London By The Sea'' ............. and we use to suffer the same problem of overcharging traders (due to area) but most (not all) have now seen the light and now offer more competitive prices. To give you an idea I've just had a front door replaced as well as a set of French Doors (patio) with internal blinds (very swish - sit between the glass) and the price on those was £900 for the Front Door and £1600 for the French Doors (with integral Blinds).

There's plenty of firms out there, so get as many quotes as you can - even try some of the Nationals and once you've settled on a company don't forget to haggle - I managed to get a ton & a half knocked of my quote - just by asking

And lastly before picking your final supplier/fitter check out their work FIRST HAND - by going to see their latest job/s and speaking with the home owner. A GOOD company will be able to arrange this No Problem - a Del-Boy trader will Huff & Puff and give you the run-around - so do the same and RUN!!!

ANd finally - Don't TAKE their word they do a good job - go see for yourself - if you claim you don't have the time, you've only yourself to blame if it goes t##'s-up at the end of your job and your not happy with the finished work!!!

Hope this helps a little?

Tommy
  • TommyLee
    TommyLee Posts: 29 Forumite
    Opps.........

Just remembered :-

''Both sets of people seemed professional enough but I think the higher quotes reflected the higher spec of products they use (A-rated Glass as opposed to C-rated) so I guess I will wait to see if I am seduced by cheap prices alone!!''

Your looking for a Glass Std of A+5 (not just A!) - the likes of Pilkington Optitherm S4 which is also known as K Glass (Argon Gas Filled) and on the Doors your want Toughened Safety Glass ........... plus the same on any window that is below a certain height (?) ........... I can not remember the exact floor to sill height but on the likes of lean-to's/Conservatories where there is a risk of a child running into a low window it has to have safety glass in the windows ........ the sills on my conservatory are about 25" floor to sill and all the windows had to be of the safety Glass type out there!

''Both sets of people seemed professional enough '' ................ LOOKS can be deceiving - CHECK their work out first by going to see at least a couple of their recent jobs for yourself.
  • Bless you Tommy Lee!

I have indeed already asked all companies who quoted me to give me details of houses I can visit, customers I can talk to etc so that I can have a look at a) work carried out elsewhere in the last 3 months and b) if applicable to have a look at their factory/showroom where they make the units up so I can inspect the quality of their products/ workmanship and post -fit clear up etc before I compare on price alone,

but your comment about looking at where the companies are based is interesting - only one is based in West London and so far they are about middle on price, the most expensive quote I got was for £7k just for the Lean-to (!) which was from a firm based in Bucks

One of the companies (still waiting on a quote from them) did my neighbour's 2-doors-down front door: very professional workmen, in and out in 2 hours, cleaned up and made good on any work that needed doing and have had no troubles since then/ after-sales service just as good as when they came round to fit it

Also, all companies who quoted said the same as you with regards to toughened safety glass etc so glad to know they are all on the same page with regards to regulations

But many thanks for all your help and advice, it is invaluable and I really appreciate it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure