The additonal Benefits of Being Debt Free

Options
1235»

Comments

• incesticde
    Options
    Had a moment this week that made me think of this thread...

You've come back from a nice long holiday in the sun (Goa) that was all paid for up front and you had pre-saved the spending money required.

When you get back, you log onto your bank account and realise you haven't spent any of your last wage and it's only three days until you get paid again!

:D

thing is I'm so boring since becoming DF that I just put all of it into my savings :o
    "I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks
  • stqueen
    stqueen Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    incesticde wrote: »
    Had a moment this week that made me think of this thread...

You've come back from a nice long holiday in the sun (Goa) that was all paid for up front and you had pre-saved the spending money required.

When you get back, you log onto your bank account and realise you haven't spent any of your last wage and it's only three days until you get paid again!

:D

thing is I'm so boring since becoming DF that I just put all of it into my savings :o

That's not boring, thats very sensible indeed and must be an amazing feeling! Well done to you!

Having the choice and the freedom to decide WHAT you want to save for is the thing I am most looking forward to. . .house, travels etc. here I come! :)
    Now totally debt free & it feels better than anything money can buy!
    Next stop - savings pot for house deposit :j
  • BusPass_2
    Options
    Great thread!!!

For me it is a power trip.

I will never, ever, have to kow tow to any financial person ever again. I can look them straight in the eye and tell them (politely) to go forth and multiply.

The sheer elation of being in control leads to all the other things mentioned on here
    Opening bank and credit card statements as soon as they arrive (what a life changer that was!!)
    Looking at my savings balance as if it were my firstborn! (Sad git)
    Satisfaction when I have saved money because I don't have to borrow.
    All the little things
    Oh, and a good uninterrupted nine hours sleep a night!
  • sickasachip13
    Options
    Oooh, looking forward to all these things one day in the very distant future.

I think for us will definitely be the stress lifting away and knowing that we're living within our means and enjoying it. We've spent all our adult lives juggling debts - we don't know what its like to have our whole wage at the end of the month.
  • incesticde
    incesticde Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BusPass wrote: »
    Looking at my savings balance as if it were my firstborn! (Sad git)

Just looking over some old threads and saw this... splurted vodka and coke through my nose laughing.. thing is I know exactly what he meant and how it felt

Top man, thanks
    "I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure