3 for 2 - scam or not?

Options
What do we all think of the latest Xmas promotion thing?

For a couple of years now, boots have done the 3 for 2 thing on their Xmas gift range but now everyone seems to be in on the act, woolies and tesco to name just 2.

Now, I've been thinking about this and the more I do, the more I think that, we as consumers are loosing out.

Firstly, I bet that the unit cost of each gift is higher to balance out all the 'freebies'. Fine if you want 3 x £10 gifts but if you want £15, £10 and £5 you are out of pocket, even if you think you've got a bargain or if you only want or can afford 1.

Secondly, have you noticed that in the after Xmas sales, the gifts are reduced by 1/3 but the 3 for 2 has gone - so same price as on 3 for 2 and not on 'sale' - rip off or what!

I think the reason I've got so mad today is that I've seen a £15 gift in woolies which DD would love but can't find any other gifts to make it more reasonably priced.

Maybe we should start a 3 for 2 matching up service!
Anyone out there in the Northampton area who wants one or 2 £15 xmas gifts who wants to go shares?
7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    well when you really think about it all of retail is a scam.

Considering the "cost" of these items and then the retail value, we're constantly being done over as it were.

There are just ways and means of making it not hurt quite so much!
    I know because I work in retail, and my previous employer (grr) makes a fortune over xmas, and Ive seen what these actually cost to produce, ship, wrap and put into shops, and its a total disgrace!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • li'l_p
    li'l_p Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    You've hit the nail on the head when you say that come January (or any time of year "sales"), they slash the prices right down, so just proves how little they can let stuff go for when it comes to these "sales". It's just that people are *generally* prepared and will pay it in the first instance. Unlike us MSE's!!!
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make a point of buying 3 x the same price (and I do "buddy up" with my mum and friends if need be - as long as its not something for them that I'm buying...!!:p).

On a related note, I notice that M&S are doing the same 3 for 2 as Boots in store this year (i.e. the cheapest of the three is the free one), but I recently bought some things from them online, and noticed that as soon as I had 3 x "3 for 2" gifts in my basket, it automatically gave me a third off each one, thereby making it a better buy than in-store (particularly as I got a free delivery code off the vouchers board here!;)). Plus, it gave me an estimated delivery date of 7-10 days and arrived after just 2!!:D Highly recommended - low stress factor and more money saving than fighting the crowds and having to carry shopping...:T

Piglet
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    i buy all the same price too. and i would much rather buy in the sales myself!
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • full-time-mum
    Options
    piglet6 wrote:
    On a related note, I notice that M&S are doing the same 3 for 2 as Boots in store this year (i.e. the cheapest of the three is the free one), but I recently bought some things from them online, and noticed that as soon as I had 3 x "3 for 2" gifts in my basket, it automatically gave me a third off each one, thereby making it a better buy than in-store (particularly as I got a free delivery code off the vouchers board here!;)).

Bet you can't use gift vouchers on-line. We have a relative who always sends the children £5 for Xmas and £5 for their birthday. It is almost impossible to buy anything for them for £5 so we usually wait until the xmas gift range arrives and buy them one thing each for Xmas. Last year, it had rolled over to £15 each and I thought I would be able to buy them each a nice item of clothing instead. M&S childrens range was Zilch - couldn't even get them PJs and nothing suitable in the gift range either, so long a short of it is that I will have to buy in the shop :(
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    Scam? Pretty much.

Effective? Very.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tend to view it as getting Xmas pressies at January sale prices, although I will not buy less than the 3 to be sure of minimising the rip-off factor:p That said, I don't buy that much from the Xmas ranges these days, there's only so many times you can give a sponge bag packed with aftershave or mini-perfume gift set or bath bombs without seeming unimaginative:rolleyes: Why don't they ever put 3 for 2 on the top 10 DVD's? Now that would be better!:D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I think the Boots gift sets are well over priced and only bought them last year for the free make up bag that you could get on all three gifts but I did make sure each one was the same price.

M&S toiletries last year were 3 for 2 and were well priced as are the Tesco ones but I do tend to hold off for Tesco gifts as they half price them before Christmas :)
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Using a bit of effort we could fight back.

Buy 3 gifts @£25....... costs you £50

Take them back one at a time, preferably different times of day or branches, with no receipt. You can then only exchange for the same value. ie 3 x £25.

You now have had 3 x £25 (£75) to spend on goods. Buy stuff on 3 for 2 that you always use, but will not use more of just 'cos you have it.

You now have had £112.50 of goods. I know that the price always goes up a bit when they do 3 for 2 so the value isn't as good as it could be, but you get the gist.

You still have to fork out for pressies but if you start planning for Xmas 2007 you will make some savings.

Perhaps buy stuff on 3 for 2 that you could make up into your own gift bags this year. All men's toiletries are on 3 for 2 at the moment.

It's worth a thought anyway.........
  • savvykaz
    savvykaz Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    Just a word of warning - this can be seen as deception
    DMP starts June 2012, £38,180.

Balance June 2015 £26,046 (paid off 32%)

DMP mutual support thread no 434
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport