Christmas traditions - what do you do with your kids

Options
Now I have two little ones, there are certain things that I look back fondly on when I think about Christmas when I was growing up.

I thought it would be nice to start some small things at Christmas time that we try to do every year (or at least til they are teenagers and refuse to have anything to do with it!).

So far, we get a new decoration each year for the tree that reflects where we are that year or something we have done - I started this when we got married, but my eldest was big enough to help choose last year. I then write the year on the back of the decoration when we pack up the Christmas tree. Last year it was a decoration made out of paper which my son did at his childminder's.

And on Christmas eve we bake gingerbread and all cut out shapes with the Christmas shaped cutters I got from Ikea a couple of years ago.
Then on Christmas day, we have a "family photo" which we put in a special album just for that, so we can compare year on year. I write where we were and what we did at the side of the photo.

Does anyone else have any other easy ideas that I could add for my children?

Comments

• princess_moomoo
    Options
    ahh what lovely traditions, might nick a couple to do with my children too!

We make cookies xmas eve, we always snuggle down and watch santa claus 1 or 2 in the late afternoon and also my children (ages 3, 6 and 9) have a small pressie in the eveinig (which is new pj's and slippers) so they are all snuggly and new for crimbo morning!!

earlier on in the day we celbrate my 6yr olds birthday as her birthday is Christmas day and i like to do it seperate otherwise i think she would get bypassed if we attempted to do it on the big day!
    i love the paidtoshop website X
  • Viz_2
    Viz_2 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    Christmas is so nice for children ! Our DD will be 4 this Christmas and is looking forward to it so much.
    When putting the tree and decorations up we always have a Christmas CD playing.
    Xmas eve last year we all sat down and wrote Santa a note and left the cookies and milk on the side. I want to add some more realism by leaving footprints from Santa's boots on the floor somehow.
    Never buy a stupid dwarf -
    Its not big and its not clever.
  • Trying_really_hard
    Options
    Viz wrote:
    When putting the tree and decorations up we always have a Christmas CD playing.

Yes. This is the epitome of decorating. I have decorated the tree since I was 3 yrs old. Although, now i can reach the top without any help from my parents. Although, only just. :p

I like the whole idea of making biscuits on Christmas eve. I bet it really gets you in the festive spirit.
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • bunny-zoe
    Options
    I will be taking my 6 year old daughter to our local Church on Christmas Eve morning as they have a Childrens Christmas Carol Service. I am not religious but my daughter has started learning about different religions and celebrations at school and i'm sure she will love this. I believe they are also doing a christmas play with some of the children from the toddler group I attend with my 18 month old.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SammyD wrote:
    Now I have two little ones, there are certain things that I look back fondly on when I think about Christmas when I was growing up.

I thought it would be nice to start some small things at Christmas time that we try to do every year (or at least til they are teenagers and refuse to have anything to do with it!).

So far, we get a new decoration each year for the tree that reflects where we are that year or something we have done - I started this when we got married, but my eldest was big enough to help choose last year. I then write the year on the back of the decoration when we pack up the Christmas tree. Last year it was a decoration made out of paper which my son did at his childminder's.

And on Christmas eve we bake gingerbread and all cut out shapes with the Christmas shaped cutters I got from Ikea a couple of years ago.
    Then on Christmas day, we have a "family photo" which we put in a special album just for that, so we can compare year on year. I write where we were and what we did at the side of the photo.

Does anyone else have any other easy ideas that I could add for my children?

thats a lovely idea :beer:
  • strawbsuk76
    Options
    Viz wrote:
    I want to add some more realism by leaving footprints from Santa's boots on the floor somehow.

last year to add realisim we used my OH work boots and put flour on a baking tray dipped them into the flour and placed prints round the presents all over the carpet. My daughter then 3 went hysterical on xmas morning when she thought santa had left prints everywhere and it was so easy to vac up afterwards
    hope this helps
    Pain is temporary!! quitting is permanent
  • ambernora
    ambernora Posts: 305 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Father Christmas always pays my children a visit before bedtime on christmas eve and gives them a small present
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This thread has some LOVELY stories.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • kaja86
    kaja86 Posts: 619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a visit from Santa the night before and he leaves the children their new PJs for Christmas night under the tree. We usually wait 'til they're in the bath and jingle some bells. It was easier when they use to bathe together when they were very little. It's a bit trickier now they are 13 and 11!!!
    ;) Newbie Comper ;)
    Wins so far-crunchie bar, Friends DVD set,
    Clynol shampoo + cond, LUSH Christmas set
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills