help please Money Laundering Product on my credit file

Options
Hi all after some advice please just signed up to a free trial with callcreditcheck
and to my horror i have just looked at my report and there is something worrying me on there.

On 30/10/2010 there in an entry from barclays

Search Organisation:Barclaycard (SA CVAL)
Search Unit Type:Barclaycard (ML)
Search Purpose:Money Laundering Product

Now the only thing i can think of is that i did a balance transfer from capital one credit card to my barclays credit card.

Would this be because of this and is the Money Laundering Product
being on my credit file going to cause me a problem it just seems a bit harsh to phrase it as this if it is because of me making a balance transfer.

many thanks

Comments

• fishingcinema
    Options
    To add to this further down the page there is a company i do not know of they are on there twice last year 2010

Aviva Central Services Limited
    Search Purpose:General Insurance (Credit)

and then

HBOS (ML) again i do not know who this is
    Search Date:16/12/2009
    Search Purpose:Money Laundering
    could this be hsbc as i opened an account with them approximatly arround this time.

And i thought my credit file was good :0(
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    It's probably an anti-ML search methinks - they are not stating you have committed money laundering, as it would be illegal for them to do so (tipping off)
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• jackjones01
    Options
    The best thing would be to contact the credit reference agency tomorrow for clarity.
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aviva is the new name for Norwich Union Insurance - did you have home or car insurance or something similar through them?
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    When you open an account, under the Anti Money Laundering Regs, any financial institution has to do due diligence checks on new customers when they open accounts (mainly just checking your identity). One of the online providers that do this (as opposed to you having to hand over your passport etc - or sometimes done as well) is CallCredit (the other one I know of is 192.com) so I suspect that because you are checking your file via CallCredit, these money laundering ID checks are shown on the records. As you say at least one of them is around the time you opened an account with the relevant bank. I suspect if you did an Experian file check these items wouldn't show as they are purely relating to ID checks within CallCredit and are unlikely to cause you any problems as they are no credit checks, just ID checks for anti money laundering purposes.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • fishingcinema
    Options
    AnxiousMum wrote: »
    Aviva is the new name for Norwich Union Insurance - did you have home or car insurance or something similar through them?

Hi there

Wish i had a licence and a car to need car insrance. :0)
    Also no house insurace through them, but would it show up as them if i did a search for quotes on confussed.com as i did a few searches for house insurance last year through confussed.com.

many thanks
  • fishingcinema
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    When you open an account, under the Anti Money Laundering Regs, any financial institution has to do due diligence checks on new customers when they open accounts (mainly just checking your identity). One of the online providers that do this (as opposed to you having to hand over your passport etc - or sometimes done as well) is CallCredit (the other one I know of is 192.com) so I suspect that because you are checking your file via CallCredit, these money laundering ID checks are shown on the records. As you say at least one of them is around the time you opened an account with the relevant bank. I suspect if you did an Experian file check these items wouldn't show as they are purely relating to ID checks within CallCredit and are unlikely to cause you any problems as they are no credit checks, just ID checks for anti money laundering purposes.

You are right they do not show on the other 2 credit ref agencies,
    I must say my heart skipped a few beats when i read what i posted, i though i was being made out to be laundering money, i just wish i had that much money to be susspected of it.
    I see what you are saying in your post though so thank you very much.
  • Burridge60
    Options
    Aviva is the name for Aviva (which used to be Norwich Union).

Institutions now need to have an audit trail to prove that they have established your identity and your address. This is mandatory according to UK and EU law against terrorist financing, crime and money laundering.

These searches are the evidence to you and everyone that they are doing their regulator function properly.

The Aviva entry is probably a monthly instalment payment facility for an otherwise annual premium general insurance policy such as a Motor or Household policy.

None of these are adverse entries based on what you have posted
    I am a Mortgage Advisor
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Advisor, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Burridge60
    Options
    QUOTE]

How many credit reports have you paid for ?
    I am a Mortgage Advisor
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Advisor, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • fishingcinema
    Options
    Burridge60 wrote: »
    QUOTE]

How many credit reports have you paid for ?

Hi there

I have a free one that i got when i opened my capital one credit card with Equifax that i have had since 2008

I tried Experian free trial several times last viewed in nov 2010 but they only held info on 2 of my cataulogs rather than my 13 accounts i actually have.

And tonight i singed up to callcredit free trial as i thought that they were the 3rd ref agency that was checked by lenders.

Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport