🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hatton Garden - Engagement ring recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• **curlywurly**
    Options
    Hatton garden is a great place to buy an engagement ring. If you can pay with cash, you should aim to pay about 2/3rds of the advertised price.
  • Nottoobadyet
    Nottoobadyet Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just a thought - if your OH is the type that would be interested, it may be worth doing research on the ethical sourcing of whatever diamond you buy her. I know quite a few women who were very touched that their partners had taken the time to assure that their ring was not a blood diamond, rather than choosing just on size and price.
    Mortgage free by 30:eek:: £28,000/£100,000
    :DDebt free as of 1 October, 2010:D
    Taking my frugal life on the road!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hatton garden is a great place to buy an engagement ring. If you can pay with cash, you should aim to pay about 2/3rds of the advertised price.

Rubbish, quite rubbish. The cash handling costs are higher than those for handling debit cards.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Rubbish, quite rubbish. The cash handling costs are higher than those for handling debit cards.

and just how do you work that one out ringo? I have worked in retail for over 40 years and dealing in cash is a great deal cheaper than credit or debit cards! and with a lot of independent shops the cash deals are not always declared - whereas you cant hide the debit or credit card purchases. even a very large chain I worked for preferred cash to credit card or Godforbid cheques!
  • **curlywurly**
    Options

Not rubbish. Borne out of a great deal of personal experience!
  • Emmala
    Emmala Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Can I just say that I LOVED the shopping for an engagement ring (still love jewellery shopping!), so are you sure that your intended won't mind you choosing the ring? You have an awful lot of money to spend, so you won't be restricted in choice - or do you already know what kind of thing she would like?

A friend of mine bought the diamond (very big, very sparkly!!) and then went back with his fiancee to choose the design of the setting.

I wish you many years of joy - and fingers crossed she says 'yes'!!!

xx
  • Plans_all_plans
    Options
    I would recommend http://www.bluenile.co.uk/ Their products are absolutely fantastic quality and the customer service was amazing. All their diamonds are certified and not blood diamonds. You can pick the cut, colour, clarity and carat diamond that you want and you can choose the setting you want it sat in.

We got my engagement and wedding ring from them (after someone else on MSE recommended them) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them on to you!
  • Gefjun
    Gefjun Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I'd recommend looking around and then finding an independent jeweller to make you a ring to your design. I looked around for 5 months without seeing anything I liked, then saw a white gold and cubic zirconia ring here which I loved so much we got it made in diamond and platinum, and we paid about half what it's worth. It's unique, I love it, it still draws comments from friends 2.5 years later and we got a bargain in the process.
    Life is what you make it. Always has been, always will be ;)
  • debtfreeme
    Options
    I would highly recommend Cool Diamonds they have a website of the same name, first one google search but I don't think I can post a link. We got my engagement and wedding rings from there and found their prices pretty unbeatable, good service too. My husband was able to order online (after we'd been down there to check them out of course!) and we collected it a few days later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport