Skint for xmas! Can I steal some of your ideas please :)

Options
I have a VERY limited budget for this xmas, in fact both me and my bf do so we will be trying to get thoughtful but not costly presents for everyone.

These are the ideas that I have come up with so far, can anybody inspire with details of what they are doing for similar ages?

My DD is 9 this month so I have to get birthday presents and then xmas :eek: We have a large Primark opening this week so I will taking a trip there! I'm doing a gift pack for her (similar to the hamper idea with lots of small presents). She needs long sleeve tops, a tracksuit top/casual cardi, colourful winter tights, casual trousers/jogging pants as all of these are too small for her now, but I also want to get her some silly little gifts as well rather than just practical stuff. I'm really struggling with this one :( Any ideas.

To make matters worse my bf's birthday (he will be 33) on the 23rd Dec!! So far I've thought about a book by his fav auther, aftershave/smelly stuff, something wintery (gloves etc), a game for his Xbox (although I'm clueless as to which one!). :confused:

My sister (24) a 'Girly Hamper' with some HM chocolates and/or flapjack, a DVD, gloves, large mug with hot choc. Any other ideas? She can't have any bath stuff as she has problem skin!

My mum (52) again I'm struggling. Would like to do a Hamper and I usually buy her stuff like nice moisteriser pack, a new handbag/purse, scalf/gloves, gift vouchers etc but this year as my budget is so limited I can't do the bag/voucher type thing.

We've got quite a few others to get but mostly we are ok with what to get them (HM Hampers mainly!). It's just these ones that I'm struggling with.
We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• maow425
    maow425 Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try here for ideas:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=285045

Good luck with your hampers!
  • li'l_p
    li'l_p Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you've got some good ideas - how about looking on HMV, play.com or Amazon websites for offers on DVD's and games. All of them are doing offers like 3 DVD's for £15. So, you may be able to get 3 DVD's and split them into the individual hampers.

Have a look at the huge Hamper thread (under 'So far for my Christmas Hampers I have made...') for some brilliant ideas. There are some fantastic and cost-effective hamper ideas there!

Hampers can be quickly and cheaply made up with things such as bath bombs, candles, picture frames, chocs , mugs, hot choc sachets, mini-grate & whisk (sorry, I'm obsessed with these!!!), manicure accessories, body lotions, soaps, bath sponge/shower puff, slipper socks, soft toys, perfume, etc.

It is easier if you're making several as you can multi-buy and split the contents across the hampers. Like if you buy a large box of something like chocolates, they can be split over several hampers, so your money goes further.

For cheap containers, either cover standard cardboard boxes with gift wrap and ribbon or look in charity shops for cheap baskets/containers. Discount shops are also a good source of boxes/baskets, like Wilkinsons, Poundland.

Hope this helps?
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks lil_p that has given me a couple of things to think about, for example I hadn't thought of buying DVD's on a 3 for 2!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • hullaballoo
    Options
    you can also try going to car boot sales and charity shops, you can sometimes pick up great bargains on new items.

hth
    hullaballoo:beer:
    :A May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. :rotfl:
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    hiya :) i'm thinking about making my daughters a CD of music each and decorating a front cover myself :) perhaps making people a cd of their fav music and personalizing the front would be nice? :)
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • Beanietdc
    Beanietdc Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Primark opening in Dorset... where? tell me quickly!
    Debt free date - June 2008 :T :T :T
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    Beanietdc wrote:
    Primark opening in Dorset... where? tell me quickly!

No way! then you'll get there before me and grab all the superduper bargains :p

It's in Poole, in the Dolphin Centre next to Boots. It used to be a large Littlewoods with Index on the top floor, so it's going to be quite a large one! yippee...can't wait. It opens on Friday at 9am and guess who's got the day off :rotfl: Not because of Primark - it's our anniversary!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure