Scottish Power Cancellation Fees

Options
:sad: After having a door to door visit from a Scottish Power salesman back in May 2009 I moved my gas and electricity supply over to them.
Due to the price hikes I decided to change to another supplier after being with Scottish Power for 19 months. When I received my final bill I had a cancellation fee of £50 to pay, at no time when I was being sold did the saleman mention a cancellation fee, I've not been charged one of these from any of my previous suppliers!!
After discussing this with Customer services today, and explaining that there was no mention of this fee in the "Pricesure Energy" pricing information booklet January 2009 that I was supplied with I was told that the fee stood,

This will certainly make me think twice about using Scottish Power again!

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    helhouse wrote: »
    ...This will certainly make me think twice about using Scottish Power again!

You'd be better off spending your time reading something fully before you sign it in future.

The fees stood because they were presumably included within the contract you originally signed. After 19 months, perhaps as a result of you being moved to a new tariff after the expiry of the tariff you originally agreed to.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi helhouse

The Pricesure tariff was a fixed tariff which came with a cancellation charge if you changed tariff or changed supplier before the expiry date. Have a look at the link below for more details on this tariff:

http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/PDF/PriceSure_Brochure.pdf

The cancellation charges would have been detailed in the terms and conditions provided to you with the welcome pack.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • helhouse
    Options
    Hi Premier
    The cancellation fees were not included in the original contract that I signed, as I read it well prior to signing it!!
    As for the welcome pack I didn't expect it to have any hidden nasties in it. Maybe next time I will get my crystal ball out so that I know when I will be charged a fee at what point during my contract!!
    Colin as I said in my previous email, the Tariff that I was given did not stipulate how long a contract had to run for prior to being charged cancellation fees.
    2010 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It`s amazing that anyone should believe what a "salesman" tells them without double checking and reading the T&C fully.

I`ve just signed up with SP and one of the conditions is that if I leave before Feb 29th next year there will be a cancellation fee for both fuels.

Having said that, if my prices do become vastly different from other providers, then it`s probably still worth switching, even after paying SP a "leaving fee", on the amount I will save by switching.

This time on switching, I`ve gone through Topcashback site where SP pay £62 if you go with them for duel fuel.

Play these companies at their own game and use a cashback site every time.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 January 2011 at 3:32PM
    Options
    helhouse wrote: »
    Hi Premier
    The cancellation fees were not included in the original contract that I signed, as I read it well prior to signing it!!
    As for the welcome pack I didn't expect it to have any hidden nasties in it. Maybe next time I will get my crystal ball out so that I know when I will be charged a fee at what point during my contract!!
    Colin as I said in my previous email, the Tariff that I was given did not stipulate how long a contract had to run for prior to being charged cancellation fees.
    The original contract you signed would have referred you to the terms and conditions. As you can see from the post by Colin, the tariff included a term involving an early exit fee. If you didn't like it then you had the option to cancel.

This is not unusual and you should expect most other suppliers would act similarly.

But if you acted like the middle one below, I can fully understand how you may have missed it. :D

three-wise-monkeys1.jpg
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure