Switched & price hike - do I switch back???

Options
Electric supply: I did MSE comparison and switched from B Gas (Online Saver with EnergySmart) to Scottish Power (Online Energy Saver 11) two weeks ago. Now hit with retrospective (wef 25 Nov) 9% price hike from SP and, apparently have the option to cancel within 20 days of receiving notification of rises.

Would I be better off switching back to B Gas? If so, should I be hit by the £30 cancellation charge from SP when I signed up on 19.11 and was not told of price rises until 15.1 - two weeks after 'going live' with them?

Advice gratefully received,

Cheers
:(

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi darkinhere - The 20 day window in which you have the option to reject the new higher price tariff and Switch to another supplier, runs from the date you were notified of the price rise, not the date the prices were raised - So if your first notice of a price rise was a Bill, then the notice period runs from the date on that bill.

When you serve notice of rejection and advise you are Switching the supplier has to maintain the original prices till you leave them, and because it is they who have changed the contract, they cannot charge penalty fee's when you leave

You obviously have your annual consumption figures to hand, so trawl the Switch sites and give SP written notice quickly if you want to move
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd dispute the idea that they can't charge penalty charges. If the contract was a variable price contract then we know at the start that prices may go up. If it was a fixed rate tariff and they raise the prices, that is different.
  • Ant2011_2
    Options
    I am in the same position (joined Oct, notified of increase 57 days after took affect..), and it would be nice to have clarification on whether I can reject without penalty. This should surely be the case, as otherwise I could be locked into 100% rise, and still pay £30 for the pleasure of leaving. Also, whether the time limit is 10 or 20 days for giving this notice, some SP links say 10 days
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 January 2011 at 6:25PM
    Options
    Ant2011 wrote: »
    I am in the same position (joined Oct, notified of increase 57 days after took affect..), and it would be nice to have clarification on whether I can reject without penalty. This should surely be the case, as otherwise I could be locked into 100% rise, and still pay £30 for the pleasure of leaving. Also, whether the time limit is 10 or 20 days for giving this notice, some SP links say 10 days
    Too late. You only get a few days to change your mind, after which the switch goes ahead, not 57 days!

You are not locked into anything ... but you may have early exit fees depending on what tariff you originally accepted

If you wish to not accept the new rates and switch supplier, the terms are:
    10 working days from receipt of notice you have to have told the supplier.
    (although SP seems to allow 20 working days :))
    15 working days of them having got such notice, must the new supplier have contacted the outgoing supplier to have started the takeover process.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In my area (midlands) SP is still cheaper than the current BG Websaver even after the recent SP price hike.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure