Nationwide and foreign transaction charges

Options
I'm aware of the fact that some cards charge for foreign transactions and some (Nationwide, Halifax clarity, Santander Zero) don't.

However I wanted to make a purchase over the internet that was going to be charged in euros and as it was a reasonably large amount I checked to see what the position was.

Nationwide Gold - foreign transactions no charge if your are abroad but it you are buying in a foreign currency on the internet from the UK then there is a 2% charge! Now I did not expect that.

Alternatives Santander zero except that i didn't have enough credit (they have only given me a paltry £2200 and that was a few years ago)

I rang for an increase and was told Santander are not giving credit increases at the moment!

Debit cards - 2.75% .and not the same protection anyway

Stuck between a rock and a hard place - 2% to Nationwide it had to be.:(

Comments

• noh
    noh Posts: 5,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 January 2011 at 7:48PM
    Options
    pauljoecoe wrote: »
    I'm aware of the fact that some cards charge for foreign transactions and some (Nationwide, Halifax clarity, Santander Zero) don't.

However I wanted to make a purchase over the internet that was going to be charged in euros and as it was a reasonably large amount I checked to see what the position was.

Nationwide Gold - foreign transactions no charge if your are abroad but it you are buying in a foreign currency on the internet from the UK then there is a 2% charge! Now I did not expect that.

.:(

That's not what the Nationwide web site says:-

Will I be charged the fee if I buy things from foreign websites?

"Select the country you are buying from, if it is listed as "no fee charged" you will not be charged. Otherwise you will be charged the fee."

If the country you are buying from is in the EEA Israel or Turkey there is no fee it makes no difference if you are physically there or buying remotely.
    The fee is 1% if your purchase is from a country outside this area not 2% as you stated.
  • pauljoecoe
    pauljoecoe Posts: 223 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2011 at 8:46PM
    Options
    noh wrote: »
    Thats not what the Nationwide web site says:-

"Will I be charged the fee if I buy things from foreign websites?
    Select the country you are buying from, if it is listed as "no fee charged" you will not be charged. Otherwise you will be charged the fee."

If the country you are buying from is in the EEA Israel or Turkey there is no fee it makes no difference if you are physically there or buying remotely.

I see that now - somewhere else it definitely said 2% -cant find it now! edit: Ah - I see I was looking at debit card
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure