🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Santander and fraud grrrr

Options
will try and keep this short!!
recently my purse was lost but due to working and xmas i didnt notice for 2 days. i phoned santander to cancel credit and debit card, and ws told that they could both be done during the same phonecall and new ones issued.
There were no questions asked at this point about the last transaction/balance on card etc... 10 days later there was no sign of either card and i phoned to enquire about my credit card,i was told that a new one hadnt been issued and old one hadnt been cancelled -DESPITE IT BEING REPORTED STOLEN! i asked the balance and was told i was over my limit on a card that had previously only had £100 or so on it. As u can imagine this was quite a shock...
It was passed to fraud and 4days later i recieved a call to ask me a few questions -had i written down pin?where was card lost?etc. i was then told that some transactions had taken place using chip and pin, (no idea how):mad: i asked why it hadnt flagged up as unusual activity,as the account has never been used to remove money- no answer, i asked why card wasnt cancelled-no answer. i recieved a letter the sent the next day informing me that because chip and pin had been used they would refund nothing.
I recieved a call the same day from another member of fraud, asking more questions, this person wasnt aware the card was reported stolen said she had no record of such a call (despite that my Debit card had been cancelled successfully during same call and me telling her colleague this info the day before) and has asked me to send a copy of my bt bill to prove the call was made, she also wasnt aware that transactions were attempted on other cards (this was also told to colleague the day before)
now i have been told that IF it is proved i phoned to cancel card then anything after when this should have happened is the banks liability (about £900) but anything before it was reported (£600) i am liable to pay.! how is this fair??! there are so many failings by the bank ! any advice??

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family