Virgin air miles

Options
After visiting the USA a number of times we decided to opt for a Virgin American Express credit card at an annual fee of £150.00. This gave us 2 airmiles per pound.The card was issued by MBNA. We have amassed a total of 400,000 airmiles. When we tried to book 2 first class return tickets to America using our airmiles we were told this was not available, then we enquired about upgrading from Economy to first class we were told that only 'special' economy tickets were upgradable and these cost approx an extra £150.00 per person in addition to the normal economy fare.
As I have amassed this amount of airmiles what can I do with them ?
Needless to say I have cancelled this credit card as I can see no benefit of having it, we also found that only a handful of establishments actually accept payment by American express.
Any constructive advise greatly received.

Comments

• cactusdust
    Options
    There is bound to be availability on some flights in the future, bearing in mind you need to give a lot of notice and be prepared to travel on the quieter flights.
  • vanilla8
    vanilla8 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We redeemed our first class miles fares by booking with the flying club on the phone as soon as the flights were available - 11 months in advance
  • xycom1
    xycom1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Options
    As has been said, the availability of reward flights in Upper Class is very restricted. There may be only a couple of seats (if any!) released per flight for reward booking in Upper, so you have to get in very early. It is especially difficult to get reward seats on LGW departures as the Upper cabin in the aircraft used to serve those routes is smaller - so flights to e.g. Orlando or Las Vegas will be more difficult to get than e.g. San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York.

The V-Flyer forum is a great resource for making the most out of Virgin's Flying Club - http://v-flyer.com/
  • speedbird1973
    Options
    Google flyer talk and take a look on their forum. I don't know about virgin but with ba the website is good at finding reward seats. Also with ba seats are very limited when they have a sale on. When virgins sale finishes the situation may change.

And apologies for pedantry but virgin don't have 1st class. Upper class is a business class ticket
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sprite643 wrote: »
    ...We have amassed a total of 400,000 airmiles....we also found that only a handful of establishments actually accept payment by American express.

You must have spent a lot at those few establishments, or had the card for many years!
    Any constructive advise greatly received.

Oh, sorry.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure