Excessive quote ?

Options
Hi,

Just got a quote for taking up approximately 16-20 flags in front of the house and relaying them on a morter bed to stop water holding in the low points - £352.50 inc VAT.

First off, when he came round the number of flags wasnt 16-20, more like 8-10! In any case, is this an excessive quote ? Im also getting another guy in for quote next wk.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
pread some good Karma ~~~ :A

Comments

• karebob
    karebob Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    It does seem a lot, I've just bought some flags from Focus Do It All for 99p each. Paid £183.00 for 170 flags inc delivery.

See what the other quotes like, could tou buy the flags yourself and just pay someone to do the work?
    Regards

Mark
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Im not buying new flags, just relaying existing ones. Thats why I thought it was a bit excessive for just labour. Im crap at d.i.y so want to get it done right.
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

• karebob
    karebob Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I misread your post.

£352 does seem very excessive, hope your next ones better.
    Regards

Mark
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    get more than two quotes, why dont you look in your local paper for a handy man.. if its only labour you want mabey a local handy man might be best.. look in the shop windows sometimes they adverise locally in there
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    weve just been quoted for a job   £7000  

when he rang to ask if it was Ok I asked him how many men   how many days

he told me and that worked out at £250 per hour per man

so  always calculate what the time will take

if your supplying the flags     hes supplying the mortar  (dirt cheap)

I would say 16 flags would take a day    7 hours   so divide your 7 hours into that works out over £50 an hour
    allowing for a concrete mixer perhaps and 2 mens labour in which case it should take a lot less time. thats still over £20 an hour for a couple of labourers.

thats excessive
    :o:o:o
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Getting workmen is sooo annoying. I tried another bloke who has done work for me in the past and despite 2 very polite reminders, he hasnt even shown up to quote me.

The other guy wants £25 per hr but wont say how long it will take. Will have to ask around again as Im not keen on getting people without any reccomendations.

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    why dont you try putting a notice in the local supermarket on the lines of

experienced flagger wanted £10 an hour  for small drive to be paved

bet you get a lot of takers

tell them from the start you wont pay unless the job is done right ;D
  • Typical_Scot
    Options
    why dont you try putting  a notice in the local supermarket on the lines of

experienced flagger wanted £10 an hour  for small drive to be paved

bet you get a lot of takers

tell them from the start you wont pay unless the job is done right ;D

Hi
    I agree with Cathy on this one. What you want is someone to do a "Homer" No not the Simpson's character. What you want is someone who does that sort of work for a living, maybe with the council, who wouldn't mind earning some ready cash at night or at the weekend.
    I used to sell kitchens and the fitters were always doing it!

Good Luck  :)
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never heard it called a homer before. We always call it a foreigner! Funny isn't how totally different words mean the same thing! :D
    Mink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport