Do banks have to notify you...

Options
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been touched upon before.

Does anyone know if banks are obliged to notify you regarding charges? In a nut shell, I went over my overdraft by about £6 and didnt realise. Natwest then charged me but didnt notify me about it. The account in question is one I dont use, I transfer my wage in to my partners account. So because I wasnt notified I was going to be charged, I didnt leave cash in the account and so went over my limit again because of the charge!! Which will probably result in a third charge.

That'll will be a lot of money they've had out of me without even letting me know, is this right?

Thanks

Comments

• zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Options
    gibbiem wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry if this has been touched upon before.

Does anyone know if banks are obliged to notify you regarding charges? In a nut shell, I went over my overdraft by about £6 and didnt realise. Natwest then charged me but didnt notify me about it. The account in question is one I dont use, I transfer my wage in to my partners account. So because I wasnt notified I was going to be charged, I didnt leave cash in the account and so went over my limit again because of the charge!! Which will probably result in a third charge.

That'll will be a lot of money they've had out of me without even letting me know, is this right?

Thanks

They do notify you, via your statements. Obviously it depends whether you have paper or paperless statements, but yes, it is available either way. The notice is 3 weeks.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you dont have accesss to on-line banking, get it. then there is no reason to not know if you go overdrawn, get charged etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure