MSE's 2011 Petrol/Diesel Cost Diet Challenge: Put your money where your pedal is!

edited 11 January 2011 at 7:29PM in Motoring
168 replies 75.3K views
1111213141517»

Replies

• motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Who's still doing the Petrol/Diesel challenge? :)

Me!

Now got a Merc A45 doing 25mpg, a Porsche Boxster doing around 27mpg and a Volvo S40 2.5T T5 doing around 27mpg.

The challenge is to use as much fuel as possible, right? :o
  • Two things from me. Cheaper petrol/des usually means poorer quality
  • I do circa 20k miles a year mainly due to work. For cost effectiveness I only buy cars that have 25k miles plus on them and are several years old. I tend to use the higher grade fuel as it does give me more mpg and makes engines last longer. My last car did 250k miles and only ever needed regular servicing. Current car is a 3litre BMW estate that easily does 50mpg + and requires a service every 22k miles. Big engines are understressed so last much longer than small engines require less frequent serving and at normal road driving sip fuel - hence cost effective motoring for me is a car with a large diesel engine run on performance fuel. They are often quite cheap to buy to because after a few years old no one wants a big car. So big is cheap from my experience.
  • JasonMcJasonMc Forumite
    1 Post
    Taken from a post on Facebook and a very clever idea!

We are hitting £1.42 a litre in some areas now and soon we will be faced with paying £1.50 per litre. So here’s the idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to ten people. The person who sent it to me also sent it to 29 other people. If all of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 100) it will have reached 300...and if those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on. By the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all YOU have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at ESSO/BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell,Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc.
    i.e. Boycott BP and Esso.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old news ... this "idea" comes out every time fuel prices increase significantly. It's never worked before and won't work now - people are intrinsically lazy.
  • Indout96Indout96 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    JasonMc wrote: »
    PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell,Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc.
    i.e. Boycott BP and Esso.

Or we could hold a blockade outside the supermarkets refineries - ahh I see a problem :-( :rotfl:
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
  • James2kJames2k Forumite
    300 Posts
    motorguy wrote: »
    Me!

Now got a Merc A45 doing 25mpg, a Porsche Boxster doing around 27mpg and a Volvo S40 2.5T T5 doing around 27mpg.

The challenge is to use as much fuel as possible, right? :o
    My jeep gets 13-17mpg and S5 15-23 so i guess you are pretty efficient!:T
  • philologusphilologus Forumite
    20 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I went one better and switched to LPG. This cost me £1500 to have done.
    It took 14k miles to pay for itself as I only pay 58p a litre for LPG.
    A word of warning though .... not all LPG system installers are as good as the one I used.
    I have now covered more than 30k trouble free miles on LPG so am well into pocket.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides