Dress for Xmas party

Options
I have just spent half an hour debating (with myself :rolleyes: ) which forum to ask this, we need a girlie one!

I have an Xmas party coming up, okay in December, and have a clothing dilemma.
Can I wear a cream/ivory dress to the black tie/cocktail dress do?

I refuse to (can't!!) spend money on anything new and the other options is a black dress I have worn to said party for the past four years or the red ballgown I wore last year, which creases like crazy if you dare to sit down.

If I could wear the 'white' option, could I wear white heels with it, or dark shoes with a dark sweater/throw/jacket to be decided at later date.

I got married five months ago, and am convinced I should be allowed to wear the bridal white all year round. It's all I can do to stop myself putting the tiara back on! :D

Please help!
:wall:

Comments

• Danni
    Danni Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    Put the tiara on with the dress. Black shoes and throw/top will make it look less bridal and more fun.

(BTW: is now a good time to mention I'm absolutely hopeless with fashion and clothing? :D)
    Purple Penguin Power!
  • Agutka
    Agutka Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Danni wrote:
    Put the tiara on with the dress. Black shoes and throw/top will make it look less bridal and more fun.

(BTW: is now a good time to mention I'm absolutely hopeless with fashion and clothing? :D)

I can't wear the tiara! :p I have explained it to 'her' and she's only allowed on my head when I do the housework! :rotfl:

I do have xmassy silver shoes...
    And it's not a bridal dress, just a chiffon number from Next.
  • Knelley
    Knelley Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi, now this is MY area :) I work in Monsoon/Accessorize and this is what I do as my job.

YES......wear the white! You can wear any colour of dress to a cocktail do. We sell a beeutiful ivory/white bridal dress but believe it or not we sell loads of it as a prom dress! If you add Fuschia Pink, Red, Orange, Navy, Purple etc basically any solid colour it will take away the 'Bridal' look:) It also provides a contrast against your dress therefore compliment it more - you will pick out more detail in it. It is better to have another colour or 2 rather than an overall 'samey' colour:)

Silver would be gorgeous with it:) BUT be careful as at the moment I have LOADs of woman in trying to find Silver wraps and they are very difficult to come by.

Black and White is very 'In' at the moment so you could get away with that. It just depends on how adventurous you want to be:).....and of course, what you have to hand in shoes, jewellery etc.

Hugs
    Cazza
    The world is full of Pink Fluffy Clouds......you just need to open your eyes to see them:)
    "Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.”
  • Agutka
    Options
    Excellent egging on here!!
    Thank you, made me feel much more comfortable.
    I shall pick the accessories out of my own wardrobe later in the month!
    Whoohoo. May even get my hair cut :cool: .
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    Options
    Dye it a pale colour that's not bridal, work it into a darker colour each year, so you'll have a different looking dress each year.

Same for the shoes.

White/ivory shoes outwith a wedding have a tendency to look cheap, and I don't mean MSE's version either:p
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Knelley
    Knelley Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    ooooooooooohhhhhh, I love haircuts!!:p

*makes mental note to get own hair cut*
    The world is full of Pink Fluffy Clouds......you just need to open your eyes to see them:)
    "Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.”
  • newmommyjen
    newmommyjen Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    what about gold shoes. There is alot about, glitterly ones too.
    There is nothing wrong with wearing a cream dress, just accessoire.
    Or you could go in to TK maxx, they sell prom like dresses very cheap and they are lovely. I got married 2 years ago and got 2 of my evening dress from here, paid £20 to £30 for each.
    Can u post a pic of the dress?
    A smile and manners doesnt cost any thing
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Go witht eh cream dress with a solid colour pashmina (soemone will have one in the colour you want to borrow, jsut ask!) If you can't co-ordinate shoes just go with black & classic jewellery or one big statement peice (not the tiara though! Sorry:p) , you will look fab:T
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Agutka
    Options
    Lillibet wrote:
    If you can't co-ordinate shoes just go with black & classic jewellery or one big statement peice (not the tiara though! Sorry:p)

Ooh, just as I was getting my hopes up!!

My dress is like this one except bigger :rolleyes:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gorgeous-Cream-Dress-BNWT-Size-12-from-Next-Stunning_W0QQitemZ220044705789QQihZ012QQcategoryZ11553QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

*must look up how to shorten these links*

My mum, who I am sure loves me deep deep down has not yet seen me in the dress but has nevertheless concluded that I will look like a huge snowman (and in Polish this term is much more derogatory). Must have a fashion show one of these days, before I go spending money in the shops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport