🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Upper Limit on Online Transfer Value?

Options
Evening all,

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the amount of cash that can be transferred between accounts electronically?

I assume it is probably unlimited but I am sure over a certain amount it would raise some flags, result in investigation and delay the process.

We are looking to transfer about £40k from my spouses parents to ourselves and want to do it in the quickest, most efficient way.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Thinking critically since 1996....

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    LTSB have a daily limit of £10000 online.
    If it needs to be done in a single transaction and you are with different banks then CHAPS (with a fee) is the simplest way.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,373 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assume it is probably unlimited .

It's variable and Bank dependent. In theory the upper limit for Faster Payment is now £100k ...... but no Bank will go above £10k on personal accounts ... and a lot still operate below £10k.

For BACS (3/4 days) the majority operate to £10k ..... Halifax is £15k.

If you want to do it in a single chunk. Use a cheque or CHAPS (typically £20 to £30 fee)?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Brilliant, thank you both very much!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts