Debenhams PPI reclaim

Options
I have recently had a PPI claim refused by Santander but I think its quite laughable the reasons they have given me - comments please and suggestions where to go from here .............

Back in August I SAR my old Debenhams Card account and received quite quickly most of the required items. These included the amount of PPI paid; how it was sold to me (via a marketing phone call) and two copies of a PPI policy both of them stating quite clearly that Pre-existing medical conditions were excluded.

I finally got round to making a PPI claim with them in late Autumn claiming mis-selling and Pre-existing medical conditions reasons.

I finally received a letter back refusing my claim and stating that the the adviser who explained the main features of the policy in full. The letter also stated that the policy did cover pre-existing medical conditions and I had received a letter giving me 30 days to change my mind and that the cover was clearly shown on the statements so I knew I had it and what it covered.

Now in the SAR request there was no copy of the review letter saying I could change my mind nor transcript of the phone call.

I wrote back giving copies of both policies showing clearly the exemption for pre-existing medical conditions, and asking a recording or transcript of the telephone call selling me the policy and a copy of the letter sent telling me I could change my mind. I also stated that if I knew I had payment protection and what it covered why did I not claim on it a few years ago when I was critically ill (I had claimed on another policy).

Well - I had an interesting reply to this...........another different copy policy with an apology saying that the ones I had been sent in August were incorrect and that this one was the correct one. Nowhere on this policy is a date ....... they do not have a transcript or recording of the call; they have ignored my request for a copy letter and they have not commented on my comments about my critical illness. Apparently I can refer this to the Complaints Referral team if I am still unhappy.
What do I do now - write to the Complaints Referral team or take it straight to FOS.
Thanks

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    I have recently had a PPI claim refused by Santander but I think its quite laughable the reasons they have given me - comments please and suggestions where to go from here .............

Back in August I SAR my old Debenhams Card account and received quite quickly most of the required items. These included the amount of PPI paid; how it was sold to me (via a marketing phone call) and two copies of a PPI policy both of them stating quite clearly that Pre-existing medical conditions were excluded.

I finally got round to making a PPI claim with them in late Autumn claiming mis-selling and Pre-existing medical conditions reasons.

I finally received a letter back refusing my claim and stating that the the adviser who explained the main features of the policy in full. The letter also stated that the policy did cover pre-existing medical conditions and I had received a letter giving me 30 days to change my mind and that the cover was clearly shown on the statements so I knew I had it and what it covered.

Now in the SAR request there was no copy of the review letter saying I could change my mind nor transcript of the phone call.

I wrote back giving copies of both policies showing clearly the exemption for pre-existing medical conditions, and asking a recording or transcript of the telephone call selling me the policy and a copy of the letter sent telling me I could change my mind. I also stated that if I knew I had payment protection and what it covered why did I not claim on it a few years ago when I was critically ill (I had claimed on another policy).

Well - I had an interesting reply to this...........another different copy policy with an apology saying that the ones I had been sent in August were incorrect and that this one was the correct one. Nowhere on this policy is a date ....... they do not have a transcript or recording of the call; they have ignored my request for a copy letter and they have not commented on my comments about my critical illness. Apparently I can refer this to the Complaints Referral team if I am still unhappy.
    What do I do now - write to the Complaints Referral team or take it straight to FOS.
    Thanks

Hi there

I would write to the Complaints referral and explain your situation here, if the business have already had 8 weeks then ask them to respond by say 14 days, then confirm if this is not resolved by then you will move on to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) with copies of your evidence to make a complaint.

Keep at them, good luck.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When was is sold to you?
  • helpneededagain
    Options
    Sorry to be so lax in getting back to you - I don't seem to be getting notifications of replies.

Thank you for replying - I don not have a date for when it was sold to me but on my statements (of which I have the majority) I have been paying some kind of PPI since 1998. Had the card long before that.

I think I shall begin composing a letter to the complaints referral team.

Thank you
    hna
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    its just that firms are only required to keep records for 6 years. you were lucky to get what you did. They would be within their rights to time bar it, but see what there complaints referral team say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure