Bank charges

Options
Just wondered what sort of amounts people are claiming back? I'm thinking about trying to claim back an £72 overdraft charge. This is quite a lot of money to me, and would buy me a month's worth of food if I got it back.

On the other hand, in the grand scheme of things, it's a tiny amount of money compared to the £25,000 that someone claimed back recently, and I don't want to take the michael and dilute any other claims that anyone else is putting in.

Congratulations to anyone who is pursuing their bank charges - more power to your elbow and more money to pay off debt!!
Overpay!

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi pbr,

I don't think that the individual amount is important. It's STILL your money which you are trying to reclaim.
    One thing though, is this the ONLY charge that you could be entitled to claim back? Could be worth looking at the consumer action site, and claiming back ALL illegal charges over the last 6 years.
    Good Luck
    Rog2
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ditto what Rog2 said - its your money and as you say will pay for your food. Get a claim in as some banks pay out the little ones easier and quicker than the biggies :D
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • exessexmum
    Options
    Just wondered what sort of amounts people are claiming back? I'm thinking about trying to claim back an £72 overdraft charge. This is quite a lot of money to me, and would buy me a month's worth of food if I got it back.

On the other hand, in the grand scheme of things, it's a tiny amount of money compared to the £25,000 that someone claimed back recently, and I don't want to take the michael and dilute any other claims that anyone else is putting in.

Congratulations to anyone who is pursuing their bank charges - more power to your elbow and more money to pay off debt!!

I posted yesterday "small happy dance" or something like that it was titled. I had £118 of charges from the Halifax and was dithering as to whether to claim as I thought it wasn't worth it for a small amount (although like you that £118 is a lot of money) but anyway was advised by people on the consumer action group site to go for it as at the end of the day, it's still my money they have taken.

Someone else advised me to ring Halifaxs customer relations number (not customer services as they had refused to refund the charges at the time) so I rang them yesterday, explained that we had conducted our account well for 10 years and that it was only one hiccup that had resulted in the charges and that I was considering filing a claim against them, mentioned the consumer action group and they promptly agreed to refund the charges immediately and in full.

so yes, go for it, but try ringing and speaking to the complaINT DEPT FIRST, AS YOU MAY NOT EVEN HAVE TO FILE A CLAIM OR write a letter.

Sorry about the rubbidsh typing and capitals, on my way out to pick kids up but wanted to reply to you forst!!
  • Mule
    Mule Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    I agree - it is the principle of the matter and not the actual amount that counts.
  • poorbutrich
    poorbutrich Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks so much for your brilliant and swift replies! I love this forum so much as everyone is so supportive.
    exessexmum wrote:
    Someone else advised me to ring Halifaxs customer relations number (not customer services as they had refused to refund the charges at the time) so I rang them yesterday, explained that we had conducted our account well for 10 years and that it was only one hiccup that had resulted in the charges and that I was considering filing a claim against them, mentioned the consumer action group and they promptly agreed to refund the charges immediately and in full.

so yes, go for it, but try ringing and speaking to the complaINT DEPT FIRST, AS YOU MAY NOT EVEN HAVE TO FILE A CLAIM OR write a letter.

Thanks for these words of encouragement - I'll get on to it right now!
    Overpay!
  • La_Tristesse_Durera
    Options
    Amex - I claimed £380 and received £400!!

Claimed £165 on my Frasercard - £165 was credited to the account which has been passed to a DCA so I didn't actually see the money but it halved my balance. Which is good.

Halifax - Haha, too much to mention I would guess! £1,500 to claim I would estimate. Will add up and send letter off soon.

Any advice on this one?:

Capital One - Very annoying. Claimed £220. They refunded £96 to the DCA that now owns the account. The balance is like £3k so it's made no difference. I really wanted a cheque instead with this one. I'm pretty furious and they're sending snotty replies back too ie 'Our charges are legal... this is the last time we will communicate with you etc... I really really want to take this further. They completely messed me around, even after we had an arrangement in place they defaulted me, so I'm pretty miffed.
    £2 Coin Savings = £0.23:confused:
  • oakdale_minx
    Options
    Capital One - Very annoying. Claimed £220. They refunded £96 to the DCA that now owns the account. The balance is like £3k so it's made no difference. I really wanted a cheque instead with this one. I'm pretty furious and they're sending snotty replies back too ie 'Our charges are legal... this is the last time we will communicate with you etc... I really really want to take this further. They completely messed me around, even after we had an arrangement in place they defaulted me, so I'm pretty miffed.

Have they sold the account to an external DCA? If so they cannot give them money. Once sold, the account is discharged and all monies have to be returned to you.
  • yung
    yung Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    in July I was charged £30 for D D and following a nice grovelling letter to the building society I got that money back within a week, like everyone say it is not the amount it is the principle that matter, what annoy me my account was short of just over £1 they did not pay the D D and charging me £ 30 in the process.
    Yung
    Early Retiree debt & stress free. and Joined the SKI club:j

• Glass_Half_Empty??
    Options
    I am claiming back 818 from capital one :eek:
    The card was closed around 3-4 years ago but seeing as I found this place and knew I could claim I though I would give it a go. Sent my 14 days letter yesterday so now waiting response. Also waiting for Royal Bank of Scotlands statements to come, then I am going after Barcleys to :p
  • Rgc_3
    Rgc_3 Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options

Thats the whole essence of this forum...72 notes is 72 notes...claim it:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport