We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Quick composter question

Options
Toodle
Toodle Posts: 87 Forumite
Hi all, just a quick question if I may?

I read somewhere when researching compost bins that you can make one from a bin with holes drilled in it.

I have a metal bin with holes already in it that I inherited with the house. It's one that you can buy to have small fires in. Can I use this or can I not use metal?

Thanks in advance
Toodles-SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD, Baby #2 on the way!
Just started comping 02/11/11 Everything crossed!

Comments

• Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it matters that it is metal. Some people use spare dustbins and the ones in the gardening programmes on TV are always have big square wooden home made ones with spaces left in the sides. They seem to use pieces of old carpet to cover the top. They always turn them from time to time with a long fork.

The bins I've had were free from the Council and they all had a lid on them and a place at the bottom where we can get the compost out (after a year in our case).

Be careful what you put in one i.e. no cooked food. Ours gets most garden clippings, veg and fruit skins, vac contents etc and in the warmer months I add some water. The contents should not smell bad.

Finally, you could Google for "compost bins+home made" and see what comes up.
  • Toodle
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

I tried googling but they all seemed to be instructions to make them from pallets or old plastic dustbins. However, I did find one set of instructions to make one from corrugated metal sheets, so assume it shall be ok? This is just like a metal dustbin, with a lid, the lid has a small funnel/chimey on top, but that wouldn't be a problem to close. It's on little leg things, with a small hatch underneath to remove the ashes.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are pages and pages of home made compost bins here, many of them using dustbins,
    Instructables - Make, How To, and DIY
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've also got one of these...a garden incinerator.
    I personally wouldn't use it for compost as it'll go rusty and the bottom will fall out. Also, dunno if yours is the same as mine, but my incinerator has legs to keep the base off the ground, which would prevent the lovely little red 'composting' worms from getting in to do their good work.
    For my composter, I have just tied 4 pallets together in a square shape over a patch of soil and dump my stuff in there. I was also lucky to get a 'green cone' off Freecycle, so I can also dump cooked food safely (not that there's much cooked food that isn't eaten here!).

HTH
  • Toodle
    Options
    Jolaaled wrote: »
    I've also got one of these...a garden incinerator.
    I personally wouldn't use it for compost as it'll go rusty and the bottom will fall out. Also, dunno if yours is the same as mine, but my incinerator has legs to keep the base off the ground, which would prevent the lovely little red 'composting' worms from getting in to do their good work.
    For my composter, I have just tied 4 pallets together in a square shape over a patch of soil and dump my stuff in there. I was also lucky to get a 'green cone' off Freecycle, so I can also dump cooked food safely (not that there's much cooked food that isn't eaten here!).

HTH

Thanks, I hadn't thought of the bottom falling out! I think I'll go down the pallet route, have some of those kicking about too. SoI could just take 4 pallets as sides, a board on the top and away I go?
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Toodle wrote: »
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of the bottom falling out! I think I'll go down the pallet route, have some of those kicking about too. SoI could just take 4 pallets as sides, a board on the top and away I go?

Well..I'm no expert, but it's worked well for me a few years now. I get lovely compost which is full of worms too. All good! As you can see, I don't fully cover it, (dont have enough wood), but it seems to survive.
    Good luck

composte.jpg
  • Toodle
    Options
    That's brilliant, thanks so, so much for your help!
  • Invalidation
    Options
    Its also worth checking out your County or Local Council Website as many have deals for cheap Compost Bins. Mine certainly did and we bought 2
    The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Toodle wrote: »
    Thanks for replying.

I tried googling but they all seemed to be instructions to make them from pallets or old plastic dustbins. However, I did find one set of instructions to make one from corrugated metal sheets, so assume it shall be ok? This is just like a metal dustbin, with a lid, the lid has a small funnel/chimey on top, but that wouldn't be a problem to close. It's on little leg things, with a small hatch underneath to remove the ashes.

It should be OK but just remember that a metal compost bin full of compost will be quite heavy so when it's all rotted down and ready to use it may be a two person job to tip it over and get all the compost out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure