We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Vodafone Insurance reclaim?

Options
I currently have a mobile phone contract with Vodafone. About 18 months ago I upgraded my handset. Upon upgrading Vodafone applied a handset insurance fee of around £7 pounds per month to my bill. However I cannot remember ever ‘opting in’ to this policy. Therefore I would a refund from Vodafone. Firstly has anyone ever heard of a refund for this? Secondly if the answer is yes how do go about getting a refund. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    I currently have a mobile phone contract with Vodafone. About 18 months ago I upgraded my handset. Upon upgrading Vodafone applied a handset insurance fee of around £7 pounds per month to my bill. However I cannot remember ever ‘opting in’ to this policy. Therefore I would a refund from Vodafone. Firstly has anyone ever heard of a refund for this? Secondly if the answer is yes how do go about getting a refund. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome

I believe you can make a reclaim on this if mis sold, unless someone else can clarify otherwise.

To make a reclaim follow the link below to a questionnaire, this replaced the template letter on this site, but you can write a letter instead if you want to in your own words, such as, you are requesting for a refund, give your reasons of why you believe the insurance was mis sold, ask they get back with a decision by 8 weeks, or otherwise complete the questionnaire as shown on the link below to stage one of reclaiming.

Remember to keep copies of letters you send, or the questionnaire, in case you need to go back to these at some point.
    And send to the complaints dept or head office of the business who sold you the policy.
    They have 8 weeks to give a decision, and should keep you updated on the progress of your complaint.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#reclaim
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • ppc1
    ppc1 Posts: 139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Hi

From reading your thread it appears that this insurance is not payment protection. Your £7.00 per month payment is for replacement of your handset following theft or accidental damage.

Therefore the forms that Di has suggested that you fill in are not correct and will not help your complaint.

If you beleive that you never opted to have this handset replacement insurance, I would suggest you complain via Vodafone website at vodafone.co.uk or contact them to confirm its complaint procedure.

Good luck!
  • robbedofmymoney
    Options

Not so long ago what they would do was give you 3 months free insurance when you upgrade, then after the 3 months they would charge you a monthly fee and expect you to opt out if you didn't want it, a bit dodgy if you ask me, so if you did not spot this you would be paying it,

It may be worht posting your complaint and ask for advice on the mobile phone section of the forum for better advice than i can give about reclaiming this type of insurance
    I'm proud to say that the banks no longer take money from me after becoming debt free
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    ppc1 wrote: »
    Hi

From reading your thread it appears that this insurance is not payment protection. Your £7.00 per month payment is for replacement of your handset following theft or accidental damage.

Therefore the forms that Di has suggested that you fill in are not correct and will not help your complaint.

If you beleive that you never opted to have this handset replacement insurance, I would suggest you complain via Vodafone website at vodafone.co.uk or contact them to confirm its complaint procedure.

Good luck!

Hi

Cheers for confirming this.
    With not knowing much about this type of insurance as well, so glad you stepped in, thanks.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family