World Book Night: one million free books to give away - have you been selected?

Options

Comments

• summertreats
    Options
    Not found
    Please try one of the following pages: Home Page
    september wins:khaled hosseini kindle case
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not found
    Please try one of the following pages: Home Page

That'll be because this has finished - or rather the volunteering to receive and give books has finished.

Details, and the timetable, are here:

http://www.worldbooknight.org/about-world-book-night/information-for/information-for-givers
  • chem1st
    chem1st Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I'll be giving out Andy McNab - Last night another soldier.

Last year I gave out Dicken's - A tale of two cities, I even posted a copy to a friend in Argentina.

Wonder where to post a copy to this year?

Last year I handed most out in the street of my town centre, I was accosting people and saying, "Do you read books?" - One man already had a copy so politely refused, that was good of him. Many did not read, but I managed to get a couple of them to take the book and give it a try (although I' not sure Dickens was the best book for them to start with - a quick read might have been better).

Up until the point I said, "Do you read books?", quite a few people were trying to blank me - as if I were collecting for charity, or peddling PPI claims!

I might place a coupe of copies on buses in the metro boxes this year again too. Hopefully they'll be put back after reading and shared more.
  • Missli
    Missli Posts: 7,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've had an email asking me to choose my collection point. I'm really looking forward to giving these out! :)
    New forum. New sig. Yes I still need to lose 2 stone! :smiley:
  • unhappy_shopper
    Options
    Picked up my books today :-)
    Mortgage: @ Feb. 2007: £133,200; Apr. 2011: £24,373; May 2011: £175,999; Jun 2013: ~£97K; Mar. 2014 £392,212.73; Dec. 2015: £327,051.77; Mar. 2016: ~£480K; Mar. 2017 £444,445.74
  • bravobeastie
    bravobeastie Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Options
    Just phoned my collection point and mine are ready to be collected too. Handing out to some Facebook friends (gives me a good opportunity to drop them off and have a catch up with old friends too)
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Mine haven't arrived at the collection point yet.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Madagascar
    Madagascar Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    I gave all mine out yesterday. I gave some to colleagues, a couple to family and the rest I handed out to people on the street. I was a little nervous at first handing them out to strangers but was surprised how good the reception was. I would definitely look to do this again if given a chance :)
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone doing it this year, 2014?

Just heard I have been chosen again....yay!!

Will be giving Whatever it Takes by Adele Parks :j
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Apologises if this is the wrong forum but when I searched previous forums were on freebies /gone forums so here we go.

You have time till 30th January to register and get free books to distribute:

http://www.worldbooknight.org/

World Book Night is an annual celebration of reading and books that takes place on 23 April. It sees passionate volunteers give out hundreds of thousands of books in their communities to share their love of reading with people who don’t read regularly or own books. World Book Night is run by The Reading Agency, a national charity that inspires people to become confident and enthusiastic readers to help give them an equal chance in life.
    ally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport