Eureka..

Options
Hi have been in an IVA for over a year and a half and have found it tough living in the means to which I became accustomed to. However around last November, I had a Eureka moment and decided that I could do with out some of the luxuries in life I had gotten used to..

So with a sky direct debit of around £50 coming out, I canceled the direct debit and instead spent the money far more wisely on food and other essentials, and since then my money saving ways have gotten a lot better and I actually find myself with a small bit of spare pocket money each fortnight when I get paid.

Enough about me. the question is about SKY, I have been threatened now with a debt collection agency for the unpaid amount on the account and was wondering where I stood with regards to them threatening me whilst in an IVA?

Also if I did pay the amount owing, my understanding is that they would turn back on the viewing and start billing me again so I would be worse off again..

I haven't really missed SKY TV at all and shudder to think of the money I could have saved in the 16 years I have been a subscriber.

Comments

• FoggyBrain_2
    FoggyBrain_2 Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately your eureka moment should have included cancelling your Sky contract. You are not protected from Sky if it amounts to a new debt run up since your IVA was agreed.

When you stopped paying what did you tell Sky ?
  • Svensson8
    Svensson8 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    FoggyBrain wrote: »
    Unfortunately your eureka moment should have included cancelling your Sky contract. You are not protected from Sky if it amounts to a new debt run up since your IVA was agreed.

When you stopped paying what did you tell Sky ?

That's the thing I haven't told SKY anything. I just cancelled the direct debit and thought that would take care of things( especially as they bill you in advance, and cut you off instantly should you miss a payment) I am wondering what I am actually paying for.

What is the worst that can happen to me if I don't pay? Is it a CCJ or something like that? Can't see what harm it would do seeming I am in an IVA for another 3 and a half years and it will be a long, long time before I am ever credit worthy again.
  • FoggyBrain_2
    FoggyBrain_2 Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Options
    Ah. OK. Were you still under contract with Sky ? If so, they will pursue you for the payments due under the contract at least.

Have you actually hecked to see if the sky box no longer works ? If not I am guessing they will be after the sums due between you stopping the direct debits and the time they actually cut you off.

I imagine they will go for a CCJ if you don't sort out something .... what happens after that I can onky guess at --- a lot will depend on the amounts involved.

Worse case scenario is that they can bankrupt you --- but doubt that would be worth their while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure