Replacing GM Credit Card

Options
Hi. As you probably know the GM credit card will be withdrawn at the end of this month. I have had one of these since they first appeared, back in 1994 I think. I have always paid off the whole balance on this credit card and have a credit limit of £11,000. I am a housewife with no regular income but my husband is in full time work.

I have applied to Tesco for a credit card and have been refused, I presume because I don't have an income. Has anyone any idea of which credit card I could apply for as my head is in a spin as there are so many out there!

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    While it might not fit nicely with financial independence, it may be preferable for your husband to apply for a card in his name with you as an additional cardholder. Then only you use the card.

Alternatively, with a nil income your best bet is probably your own bank - especially if you have a well run joint current account.
  • ironlady2022
    ironlady2022 Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You will be classed as a housewife rather than unemployed. The latter does not comply with the terms and conditions so you will be refused. In the income section you need to state any money your Husband gives you for keep or weekly shopping. It is unlikely you will get a high limit let alone 11k but more likely to be accepted. Alternatively your Husband can apply for one for you to go on as an additional card holder.
  • Tee1
    Tee1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thank you both for your help. It's not ideal but it looks like the only way around it.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,518 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just successfully applied for a Tesco c/card to replace my GM Visa card - just be aware that they are MUCH tighter on limits -, I've been given about 40% of the limit I had with GM. Doesn't bother me because we never got anywhere near our GM limit but might be a bit restricting for some.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure