help with credit card for poor credit history

Options
Hi all

Can anyone offer me any advice please? I have a credit card with mbna and owe a little over £7000. The interest per month averages about £80, also my minimum monthly payment is roughly the same. Most of the time I can only afford to pay the minimum so therefore I'm not really getting anywhere. I don't use the card that much, only for one direct debit of about £18.00 and also, only if I really need to pay for something when I haven't funds elsewhere. I always pay on time too.
I would desperately like to be able to change to a card with a low apr, balance transfer offer, so that I can actually pay money off the balance and not just the interest. The problem is, I am not working and my credit history isn't brilliant. I have never defaulted as such, just fallen into late payments with a couple of catalogue companies and being given payment plans, but all this was a few years ago..but not long ago enough that they've been taken off file. Also I have never defaulted on a credit card.

I am managing to pay my card..also I have a little debt elsewhere but nothing major..but I feel because I'm not able to pay much more than the minimum amount, then things may slowly become tougher for me, as I'm not getting anywhere.
I tried applying for cards with balance transfer offers over a year ago, but got turned down and thought it better to stop applying as I think that can go against you? The only 'pre-approved' card offers I do seem to get through are the ones that are especially for people with bad credit and have outrageous apr's, and I'm sorry but I just don't see how paying a higher rate of interest is gonna help anyone! I've also thought about a loan but unless I have something over 10 years or more then I'm going to be paying out even more, but I suppose at least the debt will slowly disappear.

Are there any sensible affordable options out there..any companies that will consider taking on your debt even with a poor credit rating?
Sorry that was a bit longwinded but I needed to explain all this before I become totally desperate.

Thanks. :smiley:

Comments

• Fahim_2
    Fahim_2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Try for HALIFAX One, they gave me card although my credit history is less than perfect...then enjoy BT for nine months...
    01. Marriott Rewards VISA (£2700 @ 17.9%)
    02. HSBC MasterCard (£2250 @ 14.9%)
    03. HALIFAX One MasterCard (£2200 @ 12.9%)
    04. Monument VISA (£1000 @ 19.9%)
    05. Aqua MasterCard (£500 @ 29.9%)
  • Phoenix79_2
    Phoenix79_2 Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Or 12 months on the Halifax One if you go through Moneysupermarket.com
  • misstree_2
    Options
    Thanks both, I shall definately be looking into that. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure