I want to leave BT. Some advice please!

Options
HC_2
HC_2 Posts: 2,239 Forumite
Although we spend only about £10 per quarter on calls, our bill is about £55.

I use my mobile for calls (I have free minutes) to other mobiles, and have recently signed up with 18866 so I will be using BT even less. So I'd like to consider leaving BT for a provider where the standing charges are lower.

I know that many phone providers' contracts mean that you have to retain your BT line. But which ones don't? I really want a very low monthly line rental provider.

Also, I have broadband internet connection with Pipex. If I move away from BT, will this still work OK?

Lastly, if I do find a provider, would I have to change my number? This would be a problem for me.

Sorry, to be so dense. I'm pretty savvy about other money-saving stuff (I make over £70 a month in credit card loophole interest) but I find the phone provider business SO confusing!

If anyone can advise me, I'll be very grateful!

Many thanks. :-)

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    The problem with leaving BT is that would make your choices less for ISP and using 18866 more expensive. For instance UK calls with BT the charge is 0p per minute where with cable its 1/2 per minute. Also BT must allow you to use a CPS whereas other companies offering line rental will not allow you to use 18866 or other CPS.
  • HC_2
    HC_2 Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, Edinburghlass.

I see what you mean. I guess I'm pretty stuck with BT for the reasons you mentioned.

It just irritates me that I'm paying £40-odd per quarter just for line rental etc.

Thanks for your help!

:-)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Most people feel the same HC :) and would rather pay the line rental to anyone but BT, however it does give you the opportunity to take up the offers that come along from the likes of Onetel, TalkTalk and 18866/1899 :)
  • sergeant121
    Options
    I've just had my latest quarterly bill from BT - £34.49 (I don't trust them enough to authorise Direct Debit payments so I pay £11.50 per month for line rental). I managed it, not a single call via BT in the whole quarter!

Thank you moneysavingexpert.com, OneTel Standard UKTalk (for free weekend calls), call18866.co.uk (for 1p weekday calls), call1899.co.uk (for 1p/minute calls to Spain) and SayNoTo0870.com (for listing geographical alternatives to 0870 numbers).
    30 years, 217 days!
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At least in 'BT land' you have a choice!

In Hull we're stuck with KC in supplying a landline. Luckily, the line rental is just £22.38 per quarter (inc VAT). We can use 18866 but these are 0.5p/min on top of the 1p connection charge. From a BT line you are just charged 1p/call.

I am also stuck with KC in supplying broadband at £18.99p/month for a 250k service. This is now expensive compared to others out there.

You can still use override services of course (but only via 080x numbers - not short codes). If I have to call non-geographical numbers (0845, 0870 etc) I use the £20 credit added to my One-Tel account when I opened it. When my credit runs out, I will recommend a friend to One-Tel and get another £20!

I also use One-Tel for all evening calls, weekend calls and Directory Enquiries as all are free! One-Tel is accessible via an 080x number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure