Gallygirl's "A journey of 121,226.67 pounds begins with a single penny" diary

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    In other exciting news - the ospreys are starting their journey back :j. Won't be long till they are back on camera: http://www.ospreys.org.uk/webcam/
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Looking forward to them returning. :D

Can't believe this will be the third year that my son and I will be following them, though. :eek:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • gallygirl
    Options
    :eek:

Wanted to look something up on rightmove for DS.

Found app in 'Shopping' folder rather than 'Finance'.

:rotfl:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You've not gone and bought a house have you...?
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,464 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You've not gone and bought a house have you...?

Nah, GG's moved on to apartment blocks :rotfl:
  • chumpy45
    chumpy45 Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just one small slip of the finger and a house just slips into your basket :rotfl:
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. [STRIKE]01.08.16 £42,418.93[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.02.17 £36,584.00[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.04.17 £34,694.7[/STRIKE]1 [STRIKE][STRIKE]09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017; :[/STRIKE][/STRIKE]) [STRIKE]06.08.18 £24,769.47[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.18 £23,825.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]22.01.19 £21,990.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE][STRIKE]06.02.19 £21,200[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] [STRIKE]03.03.19 £19,862.93[/STRIKE][STRIKE]01.05.19 £18,509.63[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.08.19 £16,750.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.10.19 £15,400.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.19 £14,700.00[/STRIKE] 01.12.19 £13,956.00 01.02.20 £12,503.61 01.04.20 £10,999.00
  • gallygirl
    Options
    2nd annual MSE holiday currently underway with Tilly and MWC. Having a fun time planning kitchens, bathrooms, colour schemes etc, it's great spending other people's money :j.

Oh, and some gin may have been consumed :D.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Always fun planning these things anyway - and even better when it's not your own ££ involved - and alcohol just makes the ideas and creativity flow so much more freely...... :D
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • gallygirl
    Options
    Update time......it ain't big and it ain't clever :rotfl:
    gallygirl wrote: »
    2017 Goals

Financial
    • Keep to our fairly generous household budget. Continue to monitor spending and try to build a small surplus. I've rejigged how I keep track so hopefully it will be easier. CONTINUOUS Ongoing. Em, let's just say some months are better than others :rotfl:.
    • Don't be afraid to spend some of my own money - I've taken (and spent/reinvested) the 25% lump sum but need to overcome my fear of touching at least some on an annual basis. To stop Mr GG moaning about me buying unnecessary things for the house as much as anything :rotfl:. CONTINUOUS Ongoing. Currently building up to buying a new handbag :D
    • Look at how our cash is invested. At present we have a small amount in P2P, a small amount in 5% accounts, 20k getting 3% and the rest is getting 1.2%. Need to think about what to do. BY END OF FEB 17 Oops. Turns out now I don't work any more I don't have time to research stuff like this :rotfl:. However, today I opened a Ford Money regular saver at 4% and have also opened a new P2P account (though no loans available at present).
    • [STRIKE]Tax - we're Spanish residents and I need to find someone who can properly advise us, especially as we became resident in September, the Spanish tax year ends 31st December and the UK tax year ends 5th April. BY END OF FEB 17 [/STRIKE]Been advised to report 2016 as non-residents so complications put off a year :cool:. DONE
    Healthcolor.gif
    • Research going onto the Spanish NHS and register (we have to pay as we're so young :D). BY END OF JAN 17 Oops :o
    • Get a grip of my weight (there's plenty to grip :o). Stop acting as if we're on holiday - eat out less and drink a lot less. Lose 2.5 stone. 1 stone by Easter 17 Oops. Though I am now in the right frame of mind and doing pilates, aerobics and aquafit, all twice a week :eek:
    • Inspired by NG, walk 3,000,000 steps :eek:. This is less than 10,000 a days so perfectly doable. CONTINUOUS, BUT NEED TO GET AHEAD AS WILL DROP OFF IN SUMMER Done this :D, averaging well over 11,000 a day :T
    • Get Well Woman/Well Man checks done. AT LEAST BOOK BY END OF JAN 17. Oops. But I have had cholesterol tested - a little high overall but good cholesterol high which I've been told offsets it.
    Spanish. We are probably in the top 5% of Spanish speaking ex pats but sadly that's a reflection on the others lack of ability rather than our progress.
    • Continue with Spanish lessons and practice when we can CONTINUOUS Doing our best, just about to go to a new free class in addition to existing.
    • Join the 3rd Age bar (though we're officially too young :D) to give us access to more Spanish speakers - that is our biggest problem here really. BY END OF JAN 17 We are too young :rotfl: - shame though as they do very good trips.
    • Investigate intensive courses (I don't think we're ready but no harm in starting to look) BY END OF JAN 17 Not ready for this yet, but keeping an eye out.
    Culture
    • Explore more of Spain, a new town or city each month. So far booked: January - Almeria, February - Antequera and Sevilla Done - and been back to Seville since, plus 4 days in Madrid :D.
    • [STRIKE]To visit as a minimum: Granada and Cartagena and at least a three day trip elsewhere[/STRIKE]. Not been to Granada or Cartagena yet, and too hot now, so will try to do in autumn. However, we have booked 2 weeks in the North of Spain, travelling round, so counting as DONE :D
    • [STRIKE]Find out more about the local area. Start by reading the book I bought Mr GG for Christmas last year, which neither of us have read :o. BY END OF JAN 17[/STRIKE] Read the book, v interesting and planning on a trip to some prehistoric caves, so counting as DONE
    House
    • Decide what to do with lower terrace - then do it!! END OF SUMMER 17 Not done :o
    • [STRIKE]Lighting for roof terrace and main terrace - I have some strong and not so strong solar lights which we will probably move round - but need to put hooks up for them. BY EASTER 17 [/STRIKE]Still deciding on best places but they are being used, so DONE :D
    • Sort out drains - previous owner is paying but need to get it done. BY END OF MARCH 17 (let's be realistic here!!!) Waiting on Town Hall to approve closing the road so out of our hands.
    • Utility room. DK what, just do something with it!!!!! It's too big and characterless. There is room for a temporary bed so need to make sure I leave room for that but I would like a big armoire for linen. That will probably end up being an upcycled wardrobe :o. BY END OF SUMMER 17 No progress, have had a look but nothing suitable.
    • [STRIKE]Get foldaway bed that can be used in house or apartment. BY END OF DEC 16 [/STRIKE]DONE
    • [STRIKE]Finish painting and recovering stool (abandoned by someone at the bins :D) BY END OF FEB 17[/STRIKE] ABANDONED, therefore DONE ;).
    Save
  • littlefred169
    littlefred169 Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 4 June 2017 at 3:45AM
    Options
    After being MIA for a few years I'm finally back and catching up on the diaries I was following before!

Congratulations on becoming mortgage free and living the dream on the continent! I must say that I've LOL'd numerous times catching up with your diary and you've helped re inspire me! Although my tumble dryer still doesn't have a:smileyhea

LF x
    Original MF Date = July 2034
    Current MF Date = July 2025
    Target = April 2025
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business