BT Basic & override / calling card

Can one use BT Basic to connect to override and/or calling card services?

The BT web site is not clear.

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    You certainly couldn't on SupportLine (or those on the Low User Tariffs), but I understood BT Basic did allow access to calling card but not indirect services. (Can;t say for definite, as I left them after 40 years as a customer, so cannot check).
  • I seem to recall it was sometime in 2000 that BT started to enforce its no override/calling card calls rule. Didn't BT cut-off people who were using its low rental schemes to make calls via third party operators?

In those days, people who opted for for the low rental schemes, and made calls via other operators, were in clear violation of terms & conditions. Is this the case for BT Basic?
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    There was no BT Basic in 2000, it was only introduced in 2008. That said, Supportline/LU tariffs resulted in a total block on both callig card, third party (shortcode) carriers and broadband. BT Basic lifted many of these, as a friend was able to get Broadband after many years of begging, but only when he switched.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have BT Basic and use 18185 on the main phone line. I need to call the 0800 number though and be charged 1p per minute. I also use a broadband VOIP service which includes free evening and weekend calls.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure